Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Take another newbie fishing....what happens? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31656)

kirkdavis 08-04-2017 12:49 PM

Take another newbie fishing....what happens?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...01bb2a743c.jpg
Last time was a 36" 18 lb butt, this time a 48" 30 lb WSB. I've been trying for over two years for either, or a yt. He was fly lining a small Mack. I put in the time and they catch the fish. Now they are going to think it's easy. I'm getting practice with my gaff, and get some of the fish. Good day on the water, and a guy visiting from Georgia is one happy fella. Glad to make his day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dillon207 08-04-2017 12:51 PM

Nice fish!!! La Jolla?

kirkdavis 08-04-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillon207 (Post 283836)
Nice fish!!! La Jolla?

Nope.

GTboosted 08-04-2017 01:02 PM

Hahaha that sucks

Mr. NiceGuy 08-04-2017 02:36 PM

Q: Where did you catch him?

A: Right here!

http://www.themasterofbation.com/wp-...th-300x165.jpg

kirkdavis 08-04-2017 02:40 PM

Yup. Same place we went.

Dirty Curti 08-04-2017 02:48 PM

You should become a professional fishing guide.

FullFlavorPike 08-04-2017 04:02 PM

take me fishing and give me all your bait plz

ultimatejay 08-04-2017 05:39 PM

If you have been fishing for two years and can't catch a YT then something is seriously wrong

FullFlavorPike 08-04-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimatejay (Post 283855)
If you have been fishing for two years and can't catch a YT then something is seriously wrong

#unnecessaryburn :eek:

kirkdavis 08-04-2017 06:27 PM

Ouch

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimatejay (Post 283855)

My feeling are hurt. I need a safe space.
Seriously though, Probably the reason I haven't caught a YT is because I haven't set it as a priority. When I go to LJ, I'll spend maybe an hour targeting the big fish, then I'll go find some rockfish. I rarely go home without fish. I also avoid LJ on weekends because of the crowd. That WSB was caught in the same area I got a BSB last fall.....Not the Jewel.
In the end I go to enjoy myself, and have never failed at that. I also derived great pleasure from gaffing the big butt and wsb for the newbies, and sharing their great adventure. I earned a lot of points too.
As for Durty Curti suggesting I become a guide, I actually had the same thought very briefly. I quickly decided that in doing so I would instantly turn off whatever good JuJu that has been happening.

ultimatejay 08-05-2017 03:56 PM

I meant no disrespect but what I said is true. If you put in the time you should catch one pretty easily. I go out before sun comes up and down upward of 12hrs on the water because I love it. Going out for one or two hours once or twice a week is going to be tough.

kirkdavis 08-05-2017 06:01 PM

No offense taken

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimatejay (Post 283891)
I meant no disrespect but what I said is true. If you put in the time you should catch one pretty easily. I go out before sun comes up and down upward of 12hrs on the water because I love it. Going out for one or two hours once or twice a week is going to be tough.

I know not everyone gets lucky and to catch YTs you have to put in some time. I get to go out about every other week for 6-8 hours. I enjoy my time no matter what I catch. I'll get mine in due time. I know I'm doing the right things since I've caught BSB and got newbies onto WSB and a big butt. I'll keep enjoying it no matter what. Hope to meet you on the water some day.

ultimatejay 08-05-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkdavis (Post 283898)
I know not everyone gets lucky and to catch YTs you have to put in some time. I get to go out about every other week for 6-8 hours. I enjoy my time no matter what I catch. I'll get mine in due time. I know I'm doing the right things since I've caught BSB and got newbies onto WSB and a big butt. I'll keep enjoying it no matter what. Hope to meet you on the water some day.

You'll get one if you keep at it- try using lighter line and different areas. I caught 4 in one day in 200ft of water. Sometimes you just have to be at the right place at the right time but keep moving and use fresh baits. Good luck

blitzburgh 08-05-2017 11:32 PM

Holy crap! Nice biscuit!

TJones 08-06-2017 05:15 AM

X2

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike (Post 283858)
#unnecessaryburn :eek:

maybe some good ju ju will wear off on you for hooking up a buddy with your coordinates? nice report.

DanaPT 08-06-2017 05:55 AM

Kirk I'd go fishing with you...

Still need a biscut!

Nice work. You are the Wayne Gretzky of BWE. You Unselfish giver.

kirkdavis 08-06-2017 06:50 AM

I'd like to hook you up

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 283906)
maybe some good ju ju will wear off on you for hooking up a buddy with your coordinates? nice report.

I would hate to give you bad dope though. Before I give out coordinates, I need to verify that I, meaning ME, can catch something big that I can keep in that spot.

kirkdavis 08-06-2017 06:59 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 283907)
Still need a biscut!

Nice work. You are the Wayne Gretzky of BWE. You Unselfish giver.

I'm pretty sure I was as excited as he was, and I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the story too. It's all good.

FISH11 08-06-2017 09:45 AM

Seriously, it's great to bring your friends good luck, BUT if I had not caught a nice Yellow or WSB after all that time. I would focus on spending 90% of my time on the water targeting one of those and than the remaining 10% on Rock Fish. I also would leave the buddies at home until I had a little good luck on those trophy fish myself. Glad you do see that time on the water is not all about catching fish, not everyone that posts gets that!