Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   to cut or not cut that is the question (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10824)

salty pirate 07-10-2011 12:26 PM

to cut or not cut that is the question

3 Attachment(s)
i have a lowrance x4 portable ff(130bucks im cheap), i use the suction cup supplied for transducer (i dont want to cut a hole in my kayak)
Attachment 4538
i dont want such a long cable all coiled up in the spot where i want my gaff
Attachment 4539
CAN I CUT OUT UNWANTED PART AND SPLICE BACK TOGATHER???

here is what i use for power (battery thing it came with) inside waterproof box. i used velcro ultra-mate (its waterproof) inside kayak and bottom of box.
Attachment 4540

thanks

MrPatrick 07-10-2011 12:54 PM

Cable

Run the cable up through a scupper hole and then find an out of the way place to store the cable. I have mine wrapped around a section of pool noodle and tucked into a hatch.

flydigital 07-10-2011 02:01 PM

Whatever you do, don't cut and splice the transducer cable. It can be done, but only by experienced installers using special splicing tools and equipment, and even then, it can drastically reduce performance and introduce noise.

Running it through the scupper sounds like a good idea.

But.... what happens when you run over kelp and have a big stringer hanging from your transducer? You could probably pull the kelp free but then the suction cup would probably fall off and you lose sonar.

If you never fish near kelp probably not a concern but that would never work for me. A more practical solution would be an in-the-hull wet mount or, if you must have your temp readings, a liberator arm (they aren't that expensive and you can even make your own for cheap). In either case the wire is run through the hatch seal. No holes.

RK 07-10-2011 02:08 PM

and lose those zip ties they "Can" damage your transducer cable

salty pirate 07-10-2011 02:23 PM

the only scupper is under seat i dont want to sit on wire and then i still have all the wire to deal with.
kelps not a problem with the t cable over the side if it comes off i reach over and stick it back on.
i understand about noise from unshielded cable wire. just wondering if anyone has done it?

salty pirate 07-10-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RK (Post 89185)
and lose those zip ties they "Can" damage your transducer cable

thanks rk all the more reason to shorten cable

salty pirate 07-11-2011 05:01 PM

why capy

i cant leave anything alone so after calling lowrance they said it can be done (not recomended) though. i cut and spliced transducer cable its easy. it seems to work fine in a bucket of water, i'll be testing it this sat. to see if i cut a prefectly good cable.

ful-rac 07-11-2011 05:40 PM

I say cut a hole in it! Get the right transducer cut the hole in the right place and enjoy! A little scary at first but.....Works for me! :)

salty pirate 07-23-2011 09:32 PM

transducer cable

it can be done i have 2 trips on shortend t-cable with no problems.
just need to catch one of these:wsb:

IB Fish"N" 07-24-2011 12:11 PM

I cut my cabel also got a great picture glad i did it. No more mess inside. I have a Hobie Revo and shoot through the hull transducer is mounted inside.