Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Braid To Braid Connection Knot (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35921)

SoCalEDC 11-24-2020 07:32 AM

Braid To Braid Connection Knot

Is there any effective and secure way to join two braids of the same diameter together (assuming larger dia. braid, 65#). i.e. when using a 150 yard filler spool to top off your existing spool?

Ggiannig89 11-24-2020 07:34 AM

I did this a couple days ago, just used a basic uni to uni knot.

SoCalEDC 11-24-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 (Post 311748)

Have you done it before? I am concerned about the retained strength at the knot. Uni to Uni seems to be the popular way to go for braid to braid connection.

I was also recommended the bimini to bimini which sounds like it would retain most of the line strenth, but i still worry about the braid abrading itself

Ggiannig89 11-24-2020 08:27 AM

I used it for the first time braid to braid on Saturday... and hooked and landed a yellowtail in 240’, it held.

FISH11 11-24-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 (Post 311748)

X2, just make sure that on each loop you go around 6-7 times, wet the braid and pull the ends and then on each line before cutting off the tags. The Uni to Uni is the best. I've used the Alberto the modified Alberto and same know under other names, but it doesn't hold as well and saves no time. If you practice the Uni to Uni knot, it is easy to do even blind folded while in rough seas. You can use it on braid to braid, braid to fluorocarbon, or braid to mono.

summers in kuwait 11-24-2020 12:07 PM

For Knot to Knot connections, I have always used the alberto knot.

I have used this knot over the last 5-7 years and have never had any issues.
I mainly go 65 lb. braid to ~30-40 mono or fluoro.

I will say that if I tie it and it looks weird or off. I cut it and retie.

FISH11 11-24-2020 12:15 PM

From videos I've seen in the past the same knot has a lot of different names, the important part is to have the same or more turns on the braid side, if mixing lines.

ProfessorLongArms 11-24-2020 02:49 PM

As someone who left the Uni to Uni for the Alberto knot on my leaders for a more streamlined knot in my guides, my gut is telling me uni/uni would be a good braid to braid connector. I always add a few turns whenever I'm going braid.

FullFlavorPike 11-24-2020 03:14 PM

if you can tie a bimini twist, a loop to loop connection is a good bet for joining braid to braid

Salty 11-24-2020 04:00 PM

I always use double uni on braid-braid or braid-lighter fluoro. I usually only use the alberto with braid-40# or bigger because a double-uni knot just gets way too bulky at that point

Grego 11-24-2020 07:24 PM

If hollow core already on spool, just splice together using a daho needle, or buy hollow core and splice onto existing solid braid. One of the advantages of hollow core braid.

ProfessorLongArms 11-24-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grego (Post 311763)
If hollow core already on spool, just splice together using a daho needle, or buy hollow core and splice onto existing solid braid. One of the advantages of hollow core braid.

I didn't know you could do it with braid that small....

Guy who runs my spearfishing shop just showed me how to do it with the dyneema that holds the slip tip on my polespear. I was incredulous that it would chinese finger trap and hold quite so well, but it's kind of amazing.

SoCalEDC 11-25-2020 07:31 AM

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the replies, I have reached the conclusions that bimini to bimini is the best connection knot for strength retention, and will be the most low profile through the guides.

If i decide to use the line I have rather than a complete respool, this will be the method I use.

monstahfish 11-25-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalEDC (Post 311770)
Thanks for the replies, I have reached the conclusions that bimini to bimini is the best connection knot for strength retention, and will be the most low profile through the guides.

If i decide to use the line I have rather than a complete respool, this will be the method I use.

You've made the right call. I was about to second the other guy who suggested it.