Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mother Ocean finally gave me a YT (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13907)

czar 06-06-2012 02:23 PM

Mother Ocean finally gave me a YT

Been fishing LJ semi-regularly for years and despite many hook ups / screw ups, never had landed a big yellow. Like most of us, landing a YT was high on my bucket list. My buddy Rob and I met at the shores at 4:45 last Friday. Spanish macs plentiful but greenies were hard to come by but eventually managed a few and some sardines too. Started trolling around 7. By around 11 and after fighting sea lions all morning, I was starting to feel a bit discouraged that the day would end like so many previous. I put my last fresh big greenie on the #1 rod with 60 lb braid, 40 lb fluoro and new Torium 50 yds back. On the other, back-up rod, 2 year old 30 lb mono, 20 lb fluoro on an older Diawa sealine, I fly-lined a tired sardine 30 yds back. I was trolling slowly while working a sabiki for more bait when I heard a splash close behind and the Diawa was buzzing. I knew right away what it was and counted thousand one, thousand two and set the J-hook. Line was still peeling off as I tightened the drag. I fought hard to control the line loss and clean up the mess with the sabiki and other rod. The fish was pulling really hard and still taking too much line dispite progressively tighter drag application. Soon I the mono was gone and I am down to white backer line and starting to see some bare spots on the reel. In a panic I add more drag and start thumbing the spool and cranking and lifting when possible. The boat is being drug sideways and I I finally manage to get the line out front and pedal away from kelp. After some more agressive cranking mono is back on the spool and things are going well. 5-15 minutes (not sure) more fighting and a couple more runs line is straight down and fish is getting close. Finally color shows, wrapped in some loose kelp vines, a nice yellow. I bring it to the surface and make a clean gaff to the head which ends up a bullseye, right in the eyeball. Lifting the critter into the boat was heavy but all of a suddden I felt the weight of catching that elusive YT being lifted from my shoulders! What a beautiful fish and incredible experience. Definitely worth the wait.

I got the YT on ice right away and home and into the chest freezer for a few hours which got it really cold, just barely above freezing. It spent the rest of the night in the fridge door (wife was gone for the weekend and my brother visiting from Colorado). Filleting went easy the next morning. Also discovered new puppy loves the smell/taste of YT and especially the fins which I saved for her chew treats. Toro belly meat was eaten directly off the bones, soo good!
<O:p
No freezing for the meat, Sashimi & teriyaki BBQ party on Sunday, Monday, Poke on Tuesday, BBQ again tonight!
<O:p
Can't wait to get out again. Still need a ghost!<O:p

chris138 06-06-2012 02:26 PM

Way to go!! Great first post!:yt:

JNAST13ST 06-06-2012 02:35 PM

Nice cant wait for mine good job

jorluivil 06-06-2012 02:36 PM

Congrats!!!
it's all downhill from here:D

lamb 06-06-2012 02:37 PM

Great report, congrats on your 1st!

Love the "after 5-15 mins" part... :)

:cheers1: to many more to come

mtnbykr2 06-06-2012 02:40 PM

What a great post, well written congrats on the illusive first YT

czar 06-06-2012 02:43 PM

photos of first yellow

10 Attachment(s)
BTW, weighed 28 lbs on digital bathroom scale after bleeding.

Whizz Bang 06-06-2012 02:54 PM

Well Done

First quality YT, OVER kelp, on mono and not on a wide-open squidbite....very well done. Loved the post, and loved watching your stoke as you pulled it up.

I was the guy that told you to bleed it through the drive and toss it in your hatch since you did not have a game clip handy.

The skunk is off, the Yak has been bloodied...more will follow.

czar 06-06-2012 03:08 PM

thanks for your advice and help Whizz Bang

thanks for your advice and help Whizz Bang!

jsigone 06-06-2012 03:10 PM

nice fish....love the puppy biting the tail picture.

mtnbykr2 06-06-2012 03:20 PM

the story was so good, I didn't have the heart to call bs with no pics...
great pictures, look at all the "icky blood" on the yak...LOVE IT!!!!

roadx 06-06-2012 03:34 PM

broke that PA 12 in right. :cheers1:

Chief Gunner 06-06-2012 03:43 PM

Awesome! Love the pic of the Pup getting a taste. My 2 Aussies and the Cat love them some fish! :D

DarthFisherman 06-06-2012 03:57 PM

Awesome! Congrats!

da22y 06-06-2012 04:27 PM

Nice post with beautiful pictures.
How's your PA12 worked compare to yor prior kayak?
:luxhello::cheers1:
Love that puppy chew tail picture....

Divad 06-06-2012 04:32 PM

Way to go! :cheers1: Your making me hungry with the pics.

packeryakker 06-06-2012 05:22 PM

Old milwaukee Nice touch! Great fish!

blitzburgh 06-06-2012 05:59 PM

NICE!!!:luxhello:

Aaron&Julie 06-06-2012 06:24 PM

Congratulations on your first YT. One always remembers that one. Love the photo of the dog taking a taste of the tail.

lbsurf2ca 06-06-2012 07:28 PM

Great story and fish... Those 12's are beautiful.