Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ho Ho Ho... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=20414)

THE DARKHORSE 12-24-2013 09:20 PM

Ho Ho Ho...

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Sea, not a creature was stirring, not even me. Although below the surface there was plenty of glory, more than enough Rain-Deer for a long overdue, Darkhorse story.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/FILE0254.JPG
If it's glory that you seek, well my friend, seek and 'ye shall find. For only those who actually hunt around these parts will ever (consistently) catch the Right-kind. Luck comes and goes, mind you, but don't ever expect it when you seem to need it most. For in this game of Chess, it really doesn't matter if and when you feel that, you get close.

As the story goes, the stockings were hung from the bow and sterns of plastic crafts with care. In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would paddle or pedal there. While most children were nestled all snug in their beds. With visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads. Some, while still quite young, had already caught the kayak fishing bug.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/DSCF1678.JPG
Opting for the comfort of sitting inches above water---holding a Slug!

With mama in her kerchief, and I in my cap, we had just settled our brains for a long Winter's nap. I'm sure you'd agree: it sure is nice, that most anglers sit and wait for the slow-melting ice. For this is the time of year, when it seems as if you have your own arena. When on any given day you'll have, dare I say, miles and miles between 'ya.

While on most days I chose a tight-camouflaged-leotard, armed with nothing more than my trusty speargun.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/FILE0397.JPG
With many days spent sixty feet down...
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...psf7fd57e1.jpg
I had already harvested a year's supply of Ceviche (and then some) for fun.

Oh, wait, who are we kidding---there's no ice after all, just an occasional need for extra knitting. Dare I mention that poor gear of yours. You know, the fishing gear that you sent in for service? I must ask to you now: how this short story (assuming you've ever read one of these before) must make you feel nervous.

When, just days ago, along the kelp-line arose such a chatter. I sprang from my kayak to see what was the matter.
The camouflaged suit on this day was replaced with breathable waders. I adorned my uniform once more. And even decided to log on as, The Darkhorse, armed with sword and shield for the haters.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/DSCF1894.JPG
For this time, like many before, I come as a friend. And anyone who actually knows the rest of this story---would be quick to tell you there's no end. I recently sprang from a sleigh ride of my own, to give my team a whistle, and away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...ps938d2016.jpg
So here's hoping you all have something similar under your tree. For we all know that nothing, especially our time away from family is free.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/100_1440.JPG
If you were there you might have heard me exclaim, as I was dragged out of sight---Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night.

lterrero 12-24-2013 09:45 PM

Josh, nice to see you back on the board, thanks for the post & Merry Christmas 2013 :)

Cadillyak 12-24-2013 10:19 PM

Yo josh. We still have some unfinished business to attend to. Soon!

Tandem Assassin 12-24-2013 11:36 PM

I Miss My Friend..

Josh you are like the "Hole In The Wall Gang". We never know when you are going to come out from hiding and give us a hint of what your are up to.

I haven't had the opportunity to fish in the last 12-15 months as I am committed to help raising my ladies daughters 3 year old son (he will be a waterman).

Just wanted to thank you for all of your post and the knowledge you have shared with us over the years.

Happy holidays to you and your family...

Jeff:sifone::sifone:

Raskal311 12-25-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadillyak (Post 177786)
Yo josh. We still have some unfinished business to attend to. Soon!

X2 Still haven't gotten the chance to use my second day :D dam newborn and pending layoff been keeping me off of my yak.

Nic D 12-25-2013 07:41 AM

Ya Josh! Merry Christmas

FLORIDA BOY! 12-25-2013 08:33 AM

Nice story and pics Santa, I mean Josh. That was a beautiful present under the tree!

StinkyMatt 12-25-2013 11:53 AM

Very nice to put the little kid on a fish.

He will not soon forget the experience.

:cheers1:

Drake 12-25-2013 01:32 PM

Who knew Santa fished LJ. Awfully nice of him to wiggle that fish down the chimney for ya!

Clearly that sheep is photoshopped. That thing is prehistoric!!!!

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...21-d6grf6s.png

Fiskadoro 12-25-2013 02:12 PM

Josh you never cease to amaze and inspire!!! :notworthy:

Zfish03 12-25-2013 03:28 PM

Great read, thanks and Merry Christmas!

JeffB 12-25-2013 03:38 PM

Cool post as always. Mean goat and super cool pic of the school of yellows.

driftwood 12-25-2013 04:38 PM

Really nice post Josh. Good to hear from you. inspiring as always. :)

wiredantz 12-25-2013 08:55 PM

nice pictures! :D

dmrides 12-26-2013 06:51 AM

Cheers for a very clever post! Nicely done.

blitzburgh 12-26-2013 07:06 AM

DOOOOD! :luxhello: :cheers1: :luxhello: :cheers1:

gunghosd 12-26-2013 08:56 AM

Nice Job Josh!

Glad to see you nailing YT on Christmas. Doesnt get any better:jig:

Deamon 12-26-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiskadoro (Post 177828)
Josh you never cease to amaze and inspire!!! :notworthy:

What he said. Lead the way brotha, lead the way. Jim

lamb 12-26-2013 07:23 PM

Guess who's back, back again.:)

Stellar photography Josh.

Drake 12-26-2013 07:36 PM

Am I the only one who noticed none of those fish have gaff shots in them?

socal_matt 12-26-2013 08:12 PM

Simply put...
you're a legend.

blitzburgh 12-27-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 177923)

Dude! You're right! Cleeeaaaann.

ashmoz 12-27-2013 09:14 AM

daaaamn dude! :cheers1:

Old Man in the Sea 12-27-2013 01:50 PM

Way to go Josh!!!:jig:

frugalfisher 12-28-2013 10:58 AM

Dr. Caldwell reporting in...

Darkhorse,

I am ready to fish!

The kayak did not get wet last year in order to keep discipline to finish the dissertation. 209 pages complete!

Dr. James Caldwell

JOHN K 12-29-2013 07:52 AM

Timing is everything...

Santa just gave me (2) full-day freedom passes!
Question is do I chase Powder or Power?
Stay tuned and thanks for the cool report Josh.

YTHunter 01-01-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

He caught 'em with his hands! :luxhello:

THE DARKHORSE 01-08-2014 11:45 AM

Well, we learned a couple things from this post. Beyond the fact that there's still fish in the Pacific Ocean. For one, I completely suck at writing anything that rhymes. And my response time to these things is for lack of a better word, sluggish. With the holidays and all I'm sure most of you understand. Computer time has been far and few between here recently. Which is a good thing if you asked me. So no complaints.

New Year's resolution? From this day forward I'm really going to make an effort to reply to posts the day of. If not the following. Take this post for example. I first saw Leo's response (Iterrero) and was about to instantly reply to him since I was still online. Have some Eggnog and in chymes Mr. Dragamore amongst a slew of others. Jeff, Damon, Andre, Neil, Nic, Matt, James, Leo, Gabe, Darin, Stan, John, Randy and all you fish slaying fools. Right back at 'ya, Guys! Not to mention, of course, all my previous clients who've been so good to me over the years. Happy new year to each and every one of you.

While I realize it's a poor excuse, often times, the reason I don't instantly chime right back in on these reports? Is because I kind of feel like a d--k for not responding to everyone. Even more so when I reply to no one. And a day quickly turns into a week---especially if you're pulling on fish daily. :biggrinjester:

Trust me, after I stare at the sonar for ten hours, head to the ice-house, wash everything down and have my Eggnog? You don't want me responding to anything on the internet! Humor is often lost in translation from behind the confines of a keyboard. Personally, I have a very dry sense of humor. Not everyone gets it; nor do I expect them to. People can't see that you're smiling when you write whatever that may be. And dare I say a portion of the community is, um, thin-skinned?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 177822)
Who knew Santa fished LJ.

Clearly that sheep is photoshopped. That thing is prehistoric!!!!

[/IMG]

Oh no, the revival of photoshop talk. Not the case here. That goat was just shy of thirty pounds. No bathroom scale or silly spring scale thingamajiggy. Damn thing looked like a Black Sea Bass at depth! I had it certified because I knew he was going to be really close to the I.G.F.A. record and was. Missed it by that (hold fingers barely spread apart) much...

So, needless to say, Ceviche for a month! :cheers1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 177809)
Very nice to put the little kid on a fish.

He will not soon forget the experience.

:cheers1:

You should know, brother. I was so pumped for you when you put your son on that 'yeller this Summer. Watching a kid get worked on big fish just can't be beat! It's very challenging and oh so rewarding at the same time. This was my third youngster (under ten years of age) to be put on a large Yellowtail.

There was a couple things of note that were really special about this trip. For one, his father was dead set on getting his son on a trophy fish. I did my best to explain all the challenges. And pleaded that, who are we kidding, grown men are practically brought to tears on these fish? But, regardless of everything I said, he was willing to risk losing the fish and wanted his son to have the experience. What an experience it was, though. Ryan, was a real trooper, and was pinned to the rail for at least ten minutes! I kept trying to get the rod in a comfortable position for him (having, Ryan, sit on the blank), but this fish was as strong as it gets. Just smoking line off the reel - doing every trick in the book!

Everyone knows I take client's photos seriously. And this one image is somewhere in the top five if you asked me.
If this thing isn't on the family's wall I'd be really dissapointed. Just a classic moment captured in time that I was proud to be a part of.

But, easily, the coolest thing of all about this experience? Beyond the fish. Beyond the Kodak moment. Beyond the father-son bonding time? The next day young, Ryan, is at the launch eager to see the day's catch. He shows me his arm and there's a ruby-red mark from where the Seeker blank was pinning his arm down. It looked like a tattoo for Pete's sake! He looked at me with a glowing look on his face. All wide-eyed and dead serious. That he wished he could keep it (the battle scar) and didn't want it to go away! Talk about a tear in my eye. Seriously. A Chicken-skin moment, indeed. Talk about putting this whole fishing thing in perspective.

blitzburgh 01-08-2014 01:35 PM

WOWWW! Superb pic Josh! :luxhello:

lterrero 01-08-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

hey Neil is because when YT see Josh, they jump into the Kayak, no problem no gaff...;)

MrPatrick 01-08-2014 03:32 PM

Always great colors and clarity on your photos Josh. What camera do you use. Composition is excellent too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IntrntFshrman 01-08-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE (Post 178727)
Well, we learned a couple things from this post. Beyond the fact that there's still fish in the Pacific Ocean. For one, I completely suck at writing anything that rhymes. And my response time to these things is for lack of a better word, sluggish. With the holidays and all I'm sure most of you understand. Computer time has been far and few between here recently. Which is a good thing if you asked me. So no complaints.

New Year's resolution? From this day forward I'm really going to make an effort to reply to posts the day of. If not the following. Take this post for example. I first saw Leo's response (Iterrero) and was about to instantly reply to him since I was still online. Have some Eggnog and in chymes Mr. Dragamore amongst a slew of others. Jeff, Damon, Andre, Neil, Nic, Matt, James, Leo, Gabe, Darin, Stan, John, Randy and all you fish slaying fools. Right back at 'ya, Guys! Not to mention, of course, all my previous clients who've been so good to me over the years. Happy new year to each and every one of you.

While I realize it's a poor excuse, often times, the reason I don't instantly chime right back in on these reports? Is because I kind of feel like a d--k for not responding to everyone. Even more so when I reply to no one. And a day quickly turns into a week---especially if you're pulling on fish daily. :biggrinjester:

Trust me, after I stare at the sonar for ten hours, head to the ice-house, wash everything down and have my Eggnog? You don't want me responding to anything on the internet! Humor is often lost in translation from behind the confines of a keyboard. Personally, I have a very dry sense of humor. Not everyone gets it; nor do I expect them to. People can't see that you're smiling when you write whatever that may be. And dare I say a portion of the community is, um, thin-skinned?

Oh no, the revival of photoshop talk. Not the case here. That goat was just shy of thirty pounds. No bathroom scale or silly spring scale thingamajiggy. Damn thing looked like a Black Sea Bass at depth! I had it certified because I knew he was going to be really close to the I.G.F.A. record and was. Missed it by that (hold fingers barely spread apart) much...

So, needless to say, Ceviche for a month! :cheers1:

You should know, brother. I was so pumped for you when you put your son on that 'yeller this Summer. Watching a kid get worked on big fish just can't be beat! It's very challenging and oh so rewarding at the same time. This was my third youngster (under ten years of age) to be put on a large Yellowtail.

There was a couple things of note that were really special about this trip. For one, his father was dead set on getting his son on a trophy fish. I did my best to explain all the challenges. And pleaded that, who are we kidding, grown men are practically brought to tears on these fish? But, regardless of everything I said, he was willing to risk losing the fish and wanted his son to have the experience. What an experience it was, though. Ryan, was a real trooper, and was pinned to the rail for at least ten minutes! I kept trying to get the rod in a comfortable position for him (having, Ryan, sit on the blank), but this fish was as strong as it gets. Just smoking line off the reel - doing every trick in the book!

Everyone knows I take client's photos seriously. And this one image is somewhere in the top five if you asked me.
If this thing isn't on the family's wall I'd be really dissapointed. Just a classic moment captured in time that I was proud to be a part of.

But, easily, the coolest thing of all about this experience? Beyond the fish. Beyond the Kodak moment. Beyond the father-son bonding time? The next day young, Ryan, is at the launch eager to see the day's catch. He shows me his arm and there's a ruby-red mark from where the Seeker blank was pinning his arm down. It looked like a tattoo for Pete's sake! He looked at me with a glowing look on his face. All wide-eyed and dead serious. That he wished he could keep it (the battle scar) and didn't want it to go away! Talk about a tear in my eye. Seriously. A Chicken-skin moment, indeed. Talk about putting this whole fishing thing in perspective.

As a dad myself, one of the best all time pics I've seen daddy/son! Look at the pride in Dad's face!!!!

Happy New Year, Josh!

Mike

GBF 01-14-2014 09:25 PM

Very nice!

Regor 01-16-2014 06:22 AM

Nice post Josh, some great fish, and hoping that you and all the locals here on BWE have a great year. You WILL see me back out there this year !!!