Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News flash - no more dogs in LJ (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=18446)

deepdvr 06-12-2013 11:43 AM

News flash - no more dogs in LJ

For real.......

However there was also a big great white just sighted at the 3/4 spot in about 115'. Estimated at 15' +.

I take that as a positive. Spooling up the floro as we speak. :luxhello:

Enceladus 06-12-2013 11:57 AM

I was out yesterday morning and only saw one.

Dannowar 06-12-2013 12:44 PM

That's because I was out all night...making them leave....

Dannowar 06-12-2013 12:45 PM

Also, if this isn't true it's VERY bad juju to cry shark...tis very bad

Hondatom 06-12-2013 12:49 PM

That kinda puckers me up a bit.
:paddleersmilie:

makobob 06-12-2013 01:00 PM

You can run, but where you gonna hide?

lamb 06-12-2013 01:17 PM

:eek:

I'd say Eric is not someone who'd put something like this out,

unless it's legit info...

Dannowar 06-12-2013 01:34 PM

Get yer steel leaders and go pros ready boys!!!

wiredantz 06-12-2013 01:44 PM

I hate sharks, especially when they are following the blood trail TO YOUR Plastic Vessel.

deepdvr 06-12-2013 01:52 PM

I know for a fact that it was also suggested to the darkhorse not to go diving today.

I'd only put out B.S. like this if I knew that sea lions were on the forum reading fish reports.

Don't believe me? My recommendation is head out around 6PM, start a nice thick chum slick on the edge of the canyon and just after the sun sets and light is disappearing, start pedaling your Hobie as fast as you can while slapping the water with your paddle. :D

surfnutnj 06-12-2013 01:56 PM

2 minute google search

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...161148785.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepdvr (Post 159471)
I know for a fact that it was also suggested to the darkhorse not to go diving today.

I'd only put out B.S. like this if I knew that sea lions were on the forum reading fish reports.

Don't believe me? My recommendation is head out around 6PM, start a nice thick chum slick on the edge of the canyon and just after the sun sets and light is disappearing, start pedaling your Hobie as fast as you can while slapping the water with your paddle. :D

deepdvr 06-12-2013 02:02 PM

It was reported to lifeguards by the lucky yaker that got within 25' of the beast.

bellcon 06-12-2013 02:53 PM

Eric
I thought I saw him yesterday:eek:
when I went over to investigate I was wrong... thank God:D

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NBYGVoezork" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Dail14 06-12-2013 03:35 PM

Great. Im making my first trip to La Jolla tomorrow. Hopefully he sticks around. If he stays then I don't have to worry about losing fish to the seals. And if he decides to come for my fish well... he can have em:o. I would rather have a shark grab the fish than the dogs. Would love to see one on the hunt though. Has anyone ever seen a great white make a kill in La Jolla?

Salty Dog 06-12-2013 04:17 PM

Dead men tell no tales

lowprofile 06-12-2013 04:51 PM

saw one out there last year that was every inch as big as my PA. cruised right by me. they are awesome.

JeffB 06-12-2013 05:49 PM

http://encinitas.patch.com/groups/su...ighting-monday

steveooo 06-12-2013 07:34 PM

Didn't see him today, and not too many dogs out. Though I didn't see any YT, WSB or Halibut either :mad:

Made 1 greenback, dragged him to the NW corner and back. He swam away, so I get karma points for C&R I guess. Hope he doesn't get eaten by a shark. :cool:

CobraTandem 06-12-2013 08:54 PM

Bellcon, that is kind of like the kids in the horror movie that go out to the shed at 1:00am to investigate the scary noises.

Then, I viewed your entire video and accidently saw that yellowtail at the very end!

MrPatrick 06-12-2013 09:02 PM

Bellcon, that is one serious B.U.F.F.
BUFF was a term used in Vietnam for the B-52 bomber.
Big
Ugly
Fat
Fu*k

In this case a
Big
Ugly
Fat
Fish

Whizz Bang 06-12-2013 10:57 PM

Yep

Yes this happened. I did a great write-up and when I tried to post, it erased the entire thing, so here is the short version.

Yes it was a GWS. Probably 15ft. It circled me twice before sinking out heading towards me. No I did not literally shit my pants. Figuratively, yes I did. Yes I watched my meter and the water with unwavering attention. Yes I called the Lifeguard dispatch.

The surf is jacking up tomorrow. If the idea of a yard sale landing, and a potential maiming on the water do not deter you, then you deserve to know that yes I got into the YT, I landed one of three hooked, and a few more missed on boils on the Iron. If that ratio of hooked to landed sounds like I was over kelp, then you, kind sir, are very astute.

Side note... I always get a kick out of reading about how so and so couldn't find them when they are thick as thieves out there, and have been for a while now. I have killed five fish in the last 4 trips, these trips were spread out over the last month and a half. Post counts do not always translate into fishing prowess, this is a sad fact for many, but true. The truth is that all to often, the inverse is more applicable. We find ourselves talking about fishing when we cannot get on the water.

If you are waiting for the weekend, for the sun and easy launch, then you, are a fool. You may get lucky and wander into a patch that haven't been driven over a dozen times already by twin 4-stroke Yamahas, and still feel like chewing, but I wouldn't count on it. This is summer time fishing, find days that do not start with Sat or Sun, start early, pack a lunch, and cover a LOT of ground.

E

lamb 06-12-2013 11:40 PM

Whizz with the Bang! :jig:

I am glad all was good,
that it didn't mistake you for something edible.
It must have been intense.

tails part sounded intense too, coll you got on some.

jorluivil 06-12-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whizz Bang (Post 159569)
Yes this happened. I did a great write-up and when I tried to post, it erased the entire thing, so here is the short version.

Yes it was a GWS. Probably 15ft. It circled me twice before sinking out heading towards me. No I did not literally shit my pants. Figuratively, yes I did. Yes I watched my meter and the water with unwavering attention. Yes I called the Lifeguard dispatch.

The surf is jacking up tomorrow. If the idea of a yard sale landing, and a potential maiming on the water do not deter you, then you deserve to know that yes I got into the YT, I landed one of three hooked, and a few more missed on boils on the Iron. If that ratio of hooked to landed sounds like I was over kelp, then you, kind sir, are very astute.

Side note... I always get a kick out of reading about how so and so couldn't find them when they are thick as thieves out there, and have been for a while now. I have killed five fish in the last 4 trips, these trips were spread out over the last month and a half. Post counts do not always translate into fishing prowess, this is a sad fact for many, but true. The truth is that all to often, the inverse is more applicable. We find ourselves talking about fishing when we cannot get on the water.

If you are waiting for the weekend, for the sun and easy launch, then you, are a fool. You may get lucky and wander into a patch that haven't been driven over a dozen times already by twin 4-stroke Yamahas, and still feel like chewing, but I wouldn't count on it. This is summer time fishing, find days that do not start with Sat or Sun, start early, pack a lunch, and cover a LOT of ground.

E

We don't fish on weekends because we're fools, we fish on weekends because we have other obligations like family and work. I'm not sure exactly where you live, nor do I care(no offense) but living minutes or miles from a launch, any launch, is a huge advantage for anyone that fishes. The last time that I fished on a weekday was last week in baja, the only reason I was able to do was because I took a vacation day, other than that I wouldn't have been able to do it. Anyway, enough about that.

I'm glad everything worked out for you, its always a little more comforting when you hear the story from the source rather than some local news anchor.

Dannowar 06-13-2013 12:09 AM

The surf is supposed to jack up?

I'm gonna yard sale if I fish?

Whizz Bang 06-13-2013 01:01 AM

Yep

Danno,

Compared to the last few days, tomorrow will be bigger. 2-3 feet with the wind adding on top of that. If you plan on getting off the water early, you are good. Is it doable, of course. However, I am not a fan of short interval sets if I have a choice. Friday the swell continues and then tapers off.

George,

I live 35 minutes from LJ, quite a bit closer than you I believe. I have two small children, and I am active duty military. I spend almost as much time away as I am home. Some of that time has actually been spent dodging bullets, not drywall, deeds, dry-erase boards, debutantes, or whatever it is that you do (no offense, I really don't care either). When I fish during the week day, I use a vacation day, you might care about that, considering your tax dollars pay for it, thank you for that.

My point stands. I would rather take a day during the week when possible, than cut my weekend in half and lose that time with my family. This is compounded by the fact that I do not enjoy having my lines ran over by twin four-stroke Yamahas a dozen times or so in the desperate search for the elusive solitary school of YT that is not running scared for their lives.

Cough, cough, snivel, snivel, I suggest you call in sick. Summer time, you got to love it.

jorluivil 06-13-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whizz Bang (Post 159586)
Danno,

Compared to the last few days, tomorrow will be bigger. 2-3 feet with the wind adding on top of that. If you plan on getting off the water early, you are good. Is it doable, of course. However, I am not a fan of short interval sets if I have a choice. Friday the swell continues and then tapers off.

George,

I live 35 minutes from LJ, quite a bit closer than you I believe. I have two small children, and I am active duty military. I spend almost as much time away as I am home. Some of that time has actually been spent dodging bullets, not drywall, deeds, dry-erase boards, debutantes, or whatever it is that you do (no offense, I really don't care either). When I fish during the week day, I use a vacation day, you might care about that, considering your tax dollars pay for it, thank you for that.

My point stands. I would rather take a day during the week when possible, than cut my weekend in half and lose that time with my family. This is compounded by the fact that I do not enjoy having my lines ran over by twin four-stroke Yamahas a dozen times or so in the desperate search for the elusive solitary school of YT that is not running scared for their lives.

Cough, cough, snivel, snivel, I suggest you call in sick. Summer time, you got to love it.

I might have to take you up on that cough, snivel one day:D

bigbarrels 06-13-2013 01:18 AM

glad you came out unscathed......must of been a bit of a pucker factor :eek:

Whizz Bang 06-13-2013 01:25 AM

Thanks Tom. I would have preferred it was a Mola or a Buff, but the lack of Sea Lions was much appreciated. Do not wait to make your bait on the corner, the Macs are the size of bonito out there.

TJones 06-13-2013 05:29 AM

it would't be the first time ?

heard of them making there appearance . glad i haven't encountered one . but it seems like all the conditions are just about right .

bellcon 06-13-2013 07:05 AM

Eric,
Glad the shark realized you were the wrong kind of SEAL to mess with!
also good to hear you're still getting out there and having some success on the plastic.

If I have that encounter I will just continue to lie to myself and call it a mola

PS,
Thanks for your continued service, your are a rare breed that we should all be proud to have watching our backs.

jorluivil 06-13-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellcon (Post 159607)
PS,
Thanks for your continued service, your are a rare breed that we should all be proud to have watching our backs.

What ^^he^^ said.

CKallday71 06-13-2013 09:02 AM

Agreed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellcon (Post 159607)
Eric,

PS,

dos ballenas 06-13-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whizz Bang (Post 159569)

E

Could have been a basking shark... thhey are very curious and often come up and circle boats. Did you see it under the water? Hos fast was it moving?

Oh and speaking of yellows:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=11368

I could use your help!:yt::yt::yt::yt::yt:

Whizz Bang 06-13-2013 12:07 PM

Yep

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47081...-shark-week%2f

Dos, He looked like this.

Whatever kind of shark grows longer than my kayak, is grey on the top and is white on the bottom.....thats what kind it was.

As for the YT... I should have been calling you all along considering I have a bad habit of killing fish the day after they pick up my trash and by the time they come back it is not a pretty sight. I have tried discarding the carcasses at my neighborhood am/pm, but I think they are onto me.

Bellcon, its been a while since I've run into you at the launch, hope you are still getting out there yourself.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Deamon 06-13-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whizz Bang (Post 159586)
the desperate search for the elusive solitary school of YT that is not running scared for their lives.

We all have our reasons for not being able to get out on the water. Success stories and strong efforts like yours help get us by in between our own launches. Thanks for the write up! Great job. Jim

dos ballenas 06-13-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whizz Bang (Post 159644)
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47081...-shark-week%2f

Dos, He looked like this.

Whatever kind of shark grows longer than my kayak, is grey on the top and is white on the bottom.....thats what kind it was.

As for the YT... I should have been calling you all along considering I have a bad habit of killing fish the day after they pick up my trash and by the time they come back it is not a pretty sight. I have tried discarding the carcasses at my neighborhood am/pm, but I think they are onto me.

Bellcon, its been a while since I've run into you at the launch, hope you are still getting out there yourself.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

hahahaha:D sounds like a Jaguar shark!

I work in La Jolla 1 miles from the launch. You can gladly swing by and I will relieve you of future carcass problems. I'm a busy guy like most of you are and I appreciate the help.

Dail14 06-13-2013 06:04 PM

There was no lack of sea dogs today in LA Jolla. It was like in the Wizard of Oz when the munchkins came out when the witch was killed. They were on a feeding frenzy.:mad:

taggermike 06-14-2013 08:21 AM

Plenty of dogs last Thursday
I surfed for years up in Humboldt Co
And always just asumed there were white
Sharks around. Same in LJ. I find it less
Stressful to believe they are there than
Worrying about them being there. Mike

Dannowar 06-14-2013 02:40 PM

I could be wrong but from what I've gathered, Southern California is merely a stop where juveniles learn to hunt big fish. Elephant seals get it up north but there's not tons of seal carcasses washing up from great whites in la jolla.

MattRabasco 06-14-2013 02:49 PM

No carcases on the beach may be due to the smaller size of the food down this way. How many bites does it take for a gw to consume an average sealion? Probably not too many parts left laying around and washing up on the beaches.