Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ticket for forgetting my fishing license NPH (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=22560)

Rambo 07-06-2014 07:56 PM

ticket for forgetting my fishing license NPH

Start my day packing n getting stuff ready for fishing. Drop the baby off at my mom by 6am and finally got on the water by 8am. Loading the PA14 is always hard not having enough gears and with all that space you want to bring everything to prepare your day for any species.

Well I got out to the water and my bait tank battery isn't charge at all even when I left it plugging all night. Now my fish finder is acting up, and wouldnt turn due to some poor connection with the cable. So I was like ok, don't need it that much since my buddies had fish finders and bait tank I'm still cool. It was hard making bait and nothing was really biting the whole day. So I drop a live mackerel and troll near the bait barge while DFG approach me.

They then ask for my fishing license and I look at my center storage and said "shit i must have left it in my car." I asked, can i go get since my car is near? They said nope, and bam my rod gets a bite and the DFG said to reel it in. What do you know a legal halibut. Since I don't have my license on me, they released my halibut, and handed me a ticket. :mad:

Mad n frustrated, but they doing a good job keeping everyone on check. So I rush over and got to my car and grabbed my fishing license to try for another halibut. But no luck. The one day I forget my fishing license I get cited. And DFG looks at me and say I'm sure you have your license since your kayak looks expensive and with all them gears :D but since you don't have it on you laws are laws. Can't argue, so I signed and said have a good day!

dorado50 07-06-2014 08:16 PM

the bright side....you didn't leave the baby in the car!

jorluivil 07-06-2014 08:24 PM

My license is vacuum sealed
Its in the center hatch of my PA
In the mesh pocket that is mounted right under the door
In a place Where I'll never forget it

wiredantz 07-06-2014 08:33 PM

They are a bunch of zealots, can't believe they cited you.

Jaysuuun 07-06-2014 09:57 PM

Sucks they issued you a ticket. Back when licenses were carbon copies, I used to keep the copy in my wallet. It saved my ass from a citation one time when I forgot my license while surf fishing malibu. DFG said it wasn't technically a license but it was proof that I had one so she cut me a break.

BTW I wish the DFG can find out if you have a fishing license by running your drivers license. Don't they swipe that info in when you purchase one?

Cadillyak 07-06-2014 10:20 PM

So I know not having a fishing license vs. not having one on you are totally different and obviously the charges will end up being different. How much will that mistake cost u. I have left my license at home, before but have always opted to turn around and go get it. I'm just curious as to how much not having your license on u will end up costing.

Sucks about the legal. If u wouldn't have gotten approached, that butt would have never bit.

Jkfish136 07-06-2014 10:33 PM

Fight

You should go to court and fight it especially you have a lic. They can look it up with your driver lic. Two years ago I got a $860 ticket up in big bear for fishing with no lic. The officer try to look for my lic. By my driver lic. But couldn't find one because I forgot to buy one. I took a day of work drove up to big bear the judge dismissed the ticket and I pay $25 processing fee. Good luck.

StinkyMatt 07-06-2014 10:46 PM

You break the law...pay the fine.

Fighting a legit ticket.........I dunno.:(

the guy took it like a man......like he said they are just doing their job.

Rambo 07-06-2014 10:58 PM

It's a $25 dollar correction fee plus my time waiting in court for dismissal after the judge see's my fishing license. So it's a waste of my day.

One thing I found out, DFG says, picture on your phone will not save your butt from a ticket. Digital copy (PDF version) if order online will not save your butt from a ticket also. Only the physical printed license is valid.

As of now I dont see why the DFG can just carry a scanner to scan your driver license since they charge all this crazy fees. Im sure they have the funding.

jorluivil 07-06-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambo (Post 199381)
It's a $25 dollar correction fee plus my time waiting in court for dismissal after the judge see's my fishing license. So it's a waste of my day.

One thing I found out, DFG says, picture on your phone will not save your butt from a ticket. Digital copy (PDF version) if order online will not save your butt from a ticket also. Only the physical printed license is valid.

As of now I dont see why the DFG can just carry a scanner to scan your driver license since they charge all this crazy fees. Im sure they have the funding.

$25 for wasting your time?

How much should the DFG get paid for having their time wasted?

suck it dude.

You forgot your license.

You got a ticket.

Pay the fine.

Don't do it again.

bubblehide 07-06-2014 11:35 PM

The DFW officer was either not completely honest with you, or ill informed of the laws he/she is sworn to enforce; or simply knew from your position on the water that the following did not apply to you. There is an exception in the law, intended fro divers, but it applies to everyone recreational fishing. The law states that if you are fishing, and within a certain distance from your car/license, you are legal. unfortunately, I do not recall the specific distance. If you happened to be beyond the specified distance, you are guilty as charged. Obviously, it is much easier to simply pay the fine than fight the ticket, as that will generally take at least 2 trips to the court house; and your still out a halibut.

Easy mistake to make, sorry to here it happened.

jorluivil 07-07-2014 12:08 AM

Q: Do I have to wear my fishing license?

A: No. As of March 1, 2010, anglers no longer have to display their sport fishing license on their outer clothing above the waist. However, their sport fishing license must be in their immediate possession while fishing, except when diving as provided inXFish and Game Code Section 7145

I would have to assume that 'immediate' doesn't mean...........

DFG officer: can I please see your license?

kayaker: It's in my car, gonna go get it. be right back.

Insert jeopardy theme song now

alanw 07-07-2014 12:09 AM

A DFG warden up in Northern Cali told me it could be up to $750 fine plus they can confiscate all of your fishing gear if caught without a license... they can even confiscate your boat. I haven't heard of anything that extreme down here but I think it's minimum $100 (plus any local fees) and reduced to $25 if you show proof of license in court.

I wish they had the ability to just run your DL since everything is electronic nowadays anyway. I'd pay an extra $0.05 so they could have funds for scanners.

Keep it in your fishing gear, keep it in your wallet, it's not worth forgetting it.

easyday 07-07-2014 12:42 AM

Every year when I get my fishing license, I get the actual license then I immediately buy 2 more duplicate copies. One in my truck, one in my wallet, one in my life vest. That way ill always have at least one on me and if I lose one I already have 2 backups. its funny to see them out and about. DFG could save so much of their time by hanging out on the pier, while I was fishing for macks for catfish the other night down in Newport. I saw about 50 violations, and had to correct numerous people telling them the fish they were keeping was illegal....

YakDout 07-07-2014 03:59 AM

We all know the real reason that fishing licenses are not connected to DL right?

$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bubblehide 07-07-2014 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 199386)
Q: Do I have to wear my fishing license?

A: No. As of March 1, 2010, anglers no longer have to display their sport fishing license on their outer clothing above the waist. However, their sport fishing license must be in their immediate possession while fishing, except when diving as provided inXFish and Game Code Section 7145

I would have to assume that 'immediate' doesn't mean...........

DFG officer: can I please see your license?

kayaker: It's in my car, gonna go get it. be right back.

Insert jeopardy theme song now

Okay, either my memory is fallible (no it's not Alzheimers, yet), or they revised the regs. either way, I stand corrected.

Silbaugh4liberty 07-07-2014 05:49 AM

Damn, what ass holes. I saw them checking a bunch of people in skiffs. Most those people in those skiffs don't know spotted bass from Halibut, let alone the regulations. I was just south of the barge, but they never came to check mine.

jruiz 07-07-2014 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkfish136 (Post 199379)
You should go to court and fight it especially you have a lic. They can look it up with your driver lic. Two years ago I got a $860 ticket up in big bear for fishing with no lic. The officer try to look for my lic. By my driver lic. But couldn't find one because I forgot to buy one. I took a day of work drove up to big bear the judge dismissed the ticket and I pay $25 processing fee. Good luck.

This is great advice. Fish without a license then when you get checked say I forgot it but I should be in the system. Waste the officers time, the judges time, then drove home feeling like a king since you just screwed the system.

oneyedeer 07-07-2014 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 199398)
Damn, what ass holes. I saw them checking a bunch of people in skiffs. Most those people in those skiffs don't know spotted bass from Halibut, let alone the regulations. I was just south of the barge, but they never came to check mine.

Lol suks when they have to do their job

JDW 07-07-2014 08:12 AM

+1 agree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 199396)
We all know the real reason that fishing licenses are not connected to DL right?

$$$$

Sir, you are correct!

jorluivil 07-07-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 199396)

$$$$

If you get pulled over by a police officer and you dont have your license the police officer can look up your license. However, there is a really good chance you will get a ticket for driving without a license.

How willl going fight that one in court?

Jrob 07-07-2014 09:26 AM

Go to court. Show the judge you had a license at the time of the incident, just not in your possession. Judge may dismiss case or reduce fine.

FISH11 07-07-2014 11:37 AM

Sucks you'll have to pay a fine but as jorge posted the law says to "have it in your immidiate possession while fishing". As soon as I buy my new one I put it in the inside pastic pocket of my tackle bag. That way anytime I go fishing with or without the kayak that license is with me and also not exposed to the sun or it will turn black same as a hunting license. The good thing is it shouldn't cost you much when you show proof of the license. The reason they check is because there are a lot of people who don't buy a license. The thing I wished is when they catch those people is that they could have the proof immidiately available so they would confiscate all their gear plus give them a ticket requiring court apperance. The DFG guys are just doing their job and hopefully catching all the jerks that are fishing illegally or poching.

Silbaugh4liberty 07-07-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneyedeer (Post 199405)
Lol suks when they have to do their job

Yeah some job, just reminds you how free we really ARE NOT in this country! Pay the tax to fish ( aka fishing license), or get fined! It's just a way to justify more government jobs!

Or fish the pier for free and 99 % of those people take whatever they want home legal or not, they don't care.

It's just upsetting seeing a legit fishermen, who made a simple mistake of forgetting it in his car and he gets screwed.

momo fish 07-07-2014 12:44 PM

I hear Cuba has awesome fishing :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 199434)
Yeah some job, just reminds you how free we really ARE NOT in this country! Pay the tax to fish ( aka fishing license), or get fined! It's just a way to justify more government jobs!

Or fish the pier for free and 99 % of those people take whatever they want home legal or not, they don't care.

It's just upsetting seeing a legit fishermen, who made a simple mistake of forgetting it in his car and he gets screwed.

Silbaugh4liberty 07-07-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 199440)

Funny...

Here's some comedy, since most people can't handle the truth...

http://youtu.be/CGTvWkmEAtM

KirkG. 07-07-2014 02:01 PM

Don't "fight" the ticket but take your license to court and just throw yourself on the mercy of the court. Happens all the time, "I have a license, just forgot it in my truck that day your Honor" Many times the Judge will at least reduce the fine.

dorado50 07-07-2014 02:03 PM

I have a vacation home in a third world country. I like it here because there are fewer laws governing my actions, like being able to ride my atv on any beach and being able to let my dog run free, as examples. There are draw backs of course, you need a fishing license to fish! And it must be in possession!. My permanent residence will always be in La Jolla.....I love the USA, and all its freedoms. I just hate the aholes that run our constitution into the ground.

Vansmack 07-07-2014 04:03 PM

Is it really reasonable to think DFG Wardens must help us prove we bought the fishing/hunting license? We are required by law to have them in our immediate possession. If it was that easy/convenient to do then no one would have to carry their license. Ever. I know it sucks, but that's one of the thing we need to make sure we bring with us. If you forgot nearly any other piece of gear you wouldn't be fishing.

Pretty funny, the OC court lists fishing without a license as an example of a non traffic infraction.
http://www.occourts.org/self-help/infraction/

Too bad you can't do a Trail by Declaration as you can for CVC infractions.
Schedule court and call in sick that day! And good luck!!!

Silbaugh4liberty 07-07-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado50 (Post 199459)
I have a vacation home in a third world country. I like it here because there are fewer laws governing my actions, like being able to ride my atv on any beach and being able to let my dog run free, as examples. There are draw backs of course, you need a fishing license to fish! And it must be in possession!. My permanent residence will always be in La Jolla.....I love the USA, and all its freedoms. I just hate the aholes that run our constitution into the ground.

You may want to prepare that vacation home as your permanent residence, because we're on the verge of becoming a third world nation. Just yesterday, S Korea and China made trade agreements to bypass the dollar, that makes over 20 countries this year to make trade agreements to bypass the dollar. We killed Gaddafi after his sales of oil in gold and dinars, we killed Suddam for selling oil in euros, we placed sanctions on Iran, and Russia this year for oil agreements bypassing the dollar. And the countries we've had embargo on for years ( Cuba, N Korea, and Iran), guess what, they've never been on the pedro dollar.
Once we are no longer the world reserve currency, we're screwed with a capital "F".
FACTA went into effect July 1st, but the IRS is giving a two year grace period, so we won't feel those effects until Obama is out of office.

Not to mention the National Defense Authorization Act basically voids the Constitution completely, turning the President into a Dictator. So don't be surprised when martial law goes into effect, suspension of habeas corpeus, and we're thrown into the FEMA camps.

Just a heads up, but enjoy your freedoms folks!!!
:cheers1:

dorado50 07-07-2014 07:23 PM

thanks for the lecture......why are you still here???????????

by the way you do know of ohbama's secret army of 250,000 strong right?

rayster 07-07-2014 07:39 PM

The big problem is that the DMV and DFW computers do not talk to each other. You would think that when you run a Drivers License it would show what vehicles are also registered to that person but it does not you have to run it on a different screen.

jorluivil 07-07-2014 07:45 PM

Popcorn is almost done

makobob 07-07-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 199515)
Popcorn is almost done

Do NOT forget the butter.

StinkyMatt 07-07-2014 07:57 PM

I googled this:

One way tickets to more "understanding" country $598.99

Small investment to be really free. That Obama guy is out to get you.

Rambo 07-07-2014 08:27 PM

I'm not too worry about the ticket guys because I have a fishing license to show proof but just the fact I got one because I left it in the car after doing a twilight charter. Usually the license stays in the center storage in my kayak. It'll be just like a fix it ticket. Show proof n case dismissed but pay the correction fee. Just like the DFG said.

FISH11 07-07-2014 08:35 PM

Yeah you'll be OK. I just keep my license in my tackle bag, that way it's not one more thing in the wallet, but I'll have it whether I'm kayak, shore or boat fishing. Good Luck

Vikingj 07-07-2014 09:08 PM

If you have the time it can be worth it going to court. I made a careless mistake and received a violation for over $500 (lobster was just legal when I measured otw but shrunk 1/32" when DF&G measured it!). It took me 3 1/2hrs to get before a judge and plead "no contest" (which is the same as "guilty" but sounds cooler). Judge charged me a fine/court cost of $125. I figured I made about $100 an hour for time spent. Good luck.

easyday 07-07-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 199440)

Cuba does have some awesome fishing I was there for 6 months when I was in the Marine Corps, absolutely massive tarpon. Those things were so easy to catch wish I had a kayak there.

bubblehide 07-07-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyday (Post 199529)
Cuba does have some awesome fishing I was there for 6 months when I was in the Marine Corps, absolutely massive tarpon. Those things were so easy to catch wish I had a kayak there.

You GITMO guys kill me, you had all the fun.