Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   i get no love in la jolla (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=4389)

KennyHill 01-13-2009 09:17 PM

i get no love in la jolla

i have fished la jolla 5 times in the last 2 weeks. ive got skunked every time. ive launched into the darkness and fished into the darkness. made bait. trolled one high and one low. I threw the iron a thousand times. each day i drifted a new line off the point. i dont have a fish finder yet so i dont really no my depths. but i coverd alot of water. there was tons of bait today. lots of dolphins and seals. lots of bird activity. no fish. each trip out ive seen whales all moving south. the weather is perfect. ill be back out there on thursday.

yakrider 01-13-2009 09:26 PM

you're not alone!!! 6 times for me!!!!! for me it's been "you shoulda been here yesterday"...
oph well...I'm not giving up...I'm on a friggin' mission now!!!!
everytime I thow that jig or toss that iron, I'm hangin on!!!!
'cause I KNOW it's comin'...
not sure when, but it's comin'!!!!!
have faith my brother...you...we will score!!!
and when you...we...do...
it will have been worth every second of effort!!!!!
I'll be looking forward to your post when you do!!!!!
and you better smile BIG!!!!!!!
I know I will!!!!

joyjiggin' 01-13-2009 09:30 PM

That makes 3 of us!

lamb 01-13-2009 09:59 PM

oh, there's a few more folks I'm sure. :)

Not everyone can whisper to them like friggen Josh. :D

But nothing wrong with spending time with Da Jewel.

Sounds like you are doing the right stuff, keep at it and it will come.

Drop a live bait on the bottom, this time of the year, why not. Won't hurt.

Get a fishfinder, knowing depth helps. You'll know where the kelp is. Won't hurt. ;)

Matt 01-13-2009 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DO WORK!!!!!!
It ain't easy!!! And the rewards are great! Would you want it to be simple?

MKNOTT 01-13-2009 10:09 PM

Yakrider… You motivate me.

THE DARKHORSE 01-13-2009 10:16 PM

You better be hangin on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakrider (Post 32700)
you're not alone!!! 6 times for me!!!!! for me it's been "you shoulda been here yesterday"...
oph well...I'm not giving up...I'm on a friggin' mission now!!!!
everytime I thow that jig or toss that iron, I'm hangin on!!!!
'cause I KNOW it's comin'...
not sure when, but it's comin'!!!!!
have faith my brother...you...we will score!!!
and when you...we...do...
it will have been worth every second of effort!!!!!
I'll be looking forward to your post when you do!!!!!
I know I will!!!!

Because IT'S COMING.

lamb 01-13-2009 10:17 PM

:D

I was...!!!!
Going to!!!!
Say.... !!!!

Josh, is calling it! :D
(not Pruitt, the other Josh)

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakrider (Post 32700)
I know I will!!!!

lamb 01-13-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE (Post 32706)
Because IT'S COMING.

Oh man, The Josh is now calling it. :D

I wonna go fishing.

j mo 01-14-2009 06:13 AM

That’s why they call it FISHING and not CATCHING- only Josh says ”I’m going catching today”..................:biggrinjester:

Arne 01-14-2009 06:14 AM

Keep doin what your'e doin and it'll come. Sometimes it's skill, sometimes time on the water, and sometimes you just get f'n lucky ... like I did a few days ago with this chunk. They are out there - see you otw tomorrow.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...6008-08-01.jpg
Arne

Dennis 01-14-2009 06:24 AM

:arne1:... :notworthy: The KING has spoken.

ICHI 01-14-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KennyHill (Post 32699)
i have fished la jolla 5 times in the last 2 weeks. ive got skunked every time. ive launched into the darkness and fished into the darkness. made bait. trolled one high and one low. I threw the iron a thousand times. each day i drifted a new line off the point. i dont have a fish finder yet so i dont really no my depths. but i coverd alot of water. there was tons of bait today. lots of dolphins and seals. lots of bird activity. no fish. each trip out ive seen whales all moving south. the weather is perfect. ill be back out there on thursday.

Hey wats up bro, Im headed out thursday aswell. Good luck to you and Ill see you OTW. Im gonna launch around 9:00 or 10:00ish.

dorf 01-14-2009 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Your zen lesten for the day:
To do something wrong is not failure, it is not bad, awful or shameful either. It is, in fact, a part of life and a part of learning.

Quitting is the only true failure. <O:p

Those who come to learn and stop trying because it is too difficult or too painful fail.
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
To stop doing, to give up, that is unacceptable.

The ones who stick it out and continue to try will continue to succeed.
Attachment 887<O:p</O:p

MalibuJohnny 01-14-2009 07:34 AM

Never give up

Don't see pictures of my TY, SB, SBB or Flatties! Just being out on the water away from my office, is good enough for me. I concider what we do as fun some what of a luxury...So each time I go out, don't expect anything but a great day on the water!

Malibujohnny 0 - La Jolla 5

Quote:

Quilted Germ 01-14-2009 08:10 AM

Quilted Germ - 0 La Jolla -6

This Saturday's my day !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Staying Positive)

bigbarrels 01-14-2009 08:33 AM

15 attempts at catching a yellowtail in La Jolla and only one firecracker (first day out).....I get skunked everytime I'm out there but I learn something new and my only expectations are to get a nice a paddle in...last time I was out I was just stoked to try out a couple new knots and techniques ......Thanks to this website, people on the water/launch site, and putting time on the water I have learned an enormous amount of info in a short amount of time. just a matter of time to hook into something other than a sea lion and a pelican:) Hopefully this Friday!

lamb 01-14-2009 08:33 AM

:arne1::arne1::arne1::arne1::arne1:

CHUNKY!!!!

:notworthy:

DESTROYER 01-14-2009 08:49 AM

Try fishing LJ for one whole year without landing one YT or WSB. That was the case 12 years ago when I first started fishing from a kayak. LJ can be very frustrating, but you have to admire her beauty when it's slow. It could be worse, you could be at work instead of fishing...or changing diapers:(.

TL-Moyer

j mo 01-14-2009 08:51 AM

Spot on with the diapers coment

Sherm 01-14-2009 09:14 AM

I got my 1st Yt on my seventh yak trip out. I think you are do. Sounds like you had great times on the water with a lot of scenery. Sounds like good times to me.

anjcomp 01-14-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Let's make KennyHill feels better. How many trips it take you to get your first yellowtail or WSB?.

It took me 10 months (40+ times OTW) to hit a school of WSB at Newport.:bigear:

KennyHill 01-14-2009 09:48 AM

dont get me wrong. i have a blast every time i go out. fish or no fish. i love kayak fishing and will continue to do it as long as im breathing. i no my day will come. every trip out is just another learning experience.

Zed 01-14-2009 09:51 AM

Solution:
Don't go.

There was a lot of :arne1: that day.

Geoffkoop 01-14-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j mo (Post 32726)
Spot on with the diapers coment

+1 :eek:

KennyHill 01-14-2009 11:32 AM

for those of you that cant make it out right now. ill show you how nice it is.

out off the point nice and early. and solo
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...1120011_01.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...1130018_01.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...1130017_01.jpg

Smelt are always there. perfect hali bait.
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...1130020_01.jpg

Then i found myself sitting under the biggest bait ball ive ever seen all macks. i thought i was gana hook up here. this was just before night fall.
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...1130021_01.jpg

ttn333 01-14-2009 11:42 AM

Wish I was out there not catching fish, right now.

T Bone 01-14-2009 12:08 PM

I am yet another LJ YT virgin.I am going to put in the time(And miles on my truck) the rest is up to the fish.After all is said and done even the best fisherman cant MAKE a fish bite.You just present the best bait in the best way and the fish do the rest.
I was blessed enough to get to fish Alijos Rocks a few years ago.Doing the dropper loop at night with straight 80# and scad mackrel.I caught several YT with the biggest being only 25#.Meanwhile the guy on my right gets a 60#er and the guy on my left gets(I kid you not) an 84.4# YT (4th largest on record).I remember actually being mad about it for a bit,afterall I was doing exactly what they did.I had a great trip though and got over it real fast because the next day was a ripper.

Sherm 01-14-2009 12:09 PM

Great pics from the water. That's about as nice a day as you can get. For not getting fish that is. The night was good too.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/at...9-p1120404.jpg

Dennis 01-14-2009 12:22 PM

Damn Kenny, those are some awesome pictures. I told myself that I'd take more pictures while fishing LJ this year, but I've been too busy:reel:.

J/K..

You'll get yours bro, no worries.

T Bone 01-14-2009 12:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The one that missed my hook.This guy was to my left about 8 ft both of us fishing dropper loop mackrel.This fish went 84.4#.If it was eating better I think it would have broke 100#...
It wasnt a bad trip for a 7 day,I just daydream sometimes about what it would have been like for that fish to have hit MY bait.All of us will get our shot.

Dennis 01-14-2009 01:09 PM

That yellow is huge! I would love to pull on those fish... How many days was that trip?

T Bone 01-14-2009 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
7 days.5 days of great fishing.I want to catch a few of these guys out of the Yak.This is not meant to be a hijack to the post just that at the time the guy had that monster YT all I had in the hold was a few smallish YT and I was kinda bummed.The next day I was rewarded.I keep reminding myself that everytime I make the 110 mile trip to LJ.

yakrider 01-14-2009 01:33 PM

now I see why they do the :arne1:...

F'n Arne!!!!!

is there a story behind that? do tell....

or is it that he is just a YT magnet...like Josh...

ezcompany 01-22-2009 10:05 AM

at least you spend time on the water!
living in Los Angeles and only using a temporary kayak rack on my leased car, its too difficult for me :(

taggermike 01-22-2009 05:56 PM

LJ is tough this time of year. Hell, fishing is tough this time of year. Most fish are deep, or have lock jaw, or have migrated out of the area. How often does a cold blooded animal need to eat in 55 degree water. And to compound that the fish that are around are closed to take. So that means that the available fish in LJ are basicly YT, halibut, sand dabs, calico/sand bass, sculpin and sheephead. And these species are not in feeding mode generally until the squid show up. So what to do? Like one poster said, you can stay home. You can learn to target halis, sheephead, or deep water calicos. You can keep grinding away on the yo-yo with an optimistic attitude until the YT decide to eat. Or you can go some where else to fish. It wasn't trophy fishing but I caught 8 or so spotties and 2 bairly not legal halibut way in the back of south bay 2 days ago. 6lb test, 4 feet of water, it was fun. In December down there I caught my first bone fish after fishing SD bay for almost 40 years. Not as fun as a big LJ YT, but still fun. Get creative. Just keep the faith and keep fishing. When things do start to happen you will be diled in and ready. Mike

Matt 01-22-2009 07:22 PM

Iron time math..... a good friend once told me you will get a shot at a big fish on iron once out of every eight times you yo-yo, fortunately or unfortunately I have found this to be very true!

dorado50 01-22-2009 08:05 PM

Back in the day, before I got into kayak fishing, during the winter months when the palegics left town I would get out the bass rods and practice C & R on bass. Usually off the dock at Harbor Island and Shelter Island. This is a great way to practice your hook sets and angleing skills. I would spend every hour of high tide that I could fishing these bass. Year after year I would do this and each year hopefully I would learn alittle more and alittle more! You can use bass fishing as a way to enhance your fishing skills, it sure worked for me as well it could work for you. During the winter months keep fishing no matter where. Your skills at catching small fish will transfer over to the sucessful catching of palegics, I guarantee it....:reeling:

Vikingj 01-24-2009 12:15 PM

Nice truck load of "sea kittens", T-bone. Big MEOOW!
As for me- 11 LJ trips over 2 yrs and no YT or WSB landed. But, the suspense, enthusiasm, hope, and excitement before each trip prevents me from sleeping the 1-2 nights prior. LJ is a magical place, with or without catching big fish (although I would REALLY like to find out what it is like by hooking on to that big one!)

Wayne

fishchaser25 01-25-2009 12:26 PM

its coming brother i can feel it.