Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2011 Islander Mothership Schedule (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=8684)

bosco 01-13-2011 07:24 AM

Ilander 7 day

Is anyone signed up for the 7 day Islander trip? How many anglers do they need to make the trip happen? Been my experience in the past that there is never enough interest. I'm torn between laying the money down on the seven day and hope it happens or going to Rancho Leanero Spring Spectacular in the same time period which is almost sold out. bosco

yakrider 01-14-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regor (Post 72521)
I'm sure a lot have not spoke up, but here's the count of those who have from this thread:

1)Hunters Pa
2)lbsurf2ca
3)robmandel
4)scoop
5)jorluivil
6)Regor (yep, trip was part of Santa's presents this xmas) :)

me 'n' Mark Pierpont r in

robmandel 01-14-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakrider (Post 73079)

this time I'm bringing a scale

five dolla :D:D:D

INGRIDSDAD 01-14-2011 01:22 PM

I'm in, along with the rest of the 909/951 crew.
heath, matt k and jesse.

JPSURF 01-18-2011 04:20 PM

Damn the June 2.5 day is Full :mad:

Keep your eye open for another 2.5 day trip being added!!

JP

Sdfisherman88 02-09-2011 12:15 PM

What are the target species on the 1-1.5 day trips? Are these trips only for experienced kayak fisherman or can rookies go too?

Hunters Pa 02-09-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdfisherman88 (Post 75290)
What are the target species on the 1-1.5 day trips? Are these trips only for experienced kayak fisherman or can rookies go too?

Good place to shorten the learning curve. You can fish open water without a surf launch or super long paddle. Always seem to be some veterans along that you can learn from, and if you get in trouble the zodiac is just a VHF call away.

The biggest challenge is getting into & out of the kayak from the swimstep.

yakrider 02-09-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdfisherman88 (Post 75290)

it depends on what YOU like to target...
that is the beauty of those trips...

personally...
I'm a calico bass-aholic...
huckin' MC slugs for bull calico in the and fihsin' the boilers...
that's the shizzle....
many a jp has been had by a nice big ol' halibut...
there's always a shot at WSB and ot YT....
what ever floats yer boat!

JPSURF 02-13-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakrider (Post 73079)

Come on Josh make some phone calls and free up some space for me!!:cheers1:

Oh well if i don't end up on this trip knock them dead.

And don't forget to hit that cove for another classic Butt!!!

Tight Lines

JP

yakrider 02-14-2011 07:06 PM

mongo only pawn in game of life!

Kayak805 03-05-2011 07:11 PM

2.5 day trip

I'm a newbie at kayak angling. Been out on my kayak maybe 4 times. I could use a couple of days off and would enjoy the company of those more experienced. Is it okay for someone who hasn't caught a single fish yet to go on one of these trips? It sounds like a lot of fun.

Siebler 03-06-2011 11:08 AM

These trips are generally pretty laid back and always a good group of guys. I would say you should do fine and im sure that on the way out youll make some new friends that will let you tag along for a day of fishing.

Kayak805 03-08-2011 11:58 AM

Thanks much for the feedback. Now to move some stuff on my calendar to squeeze this in.

jorluivil 03-15-2011 06:45 PM

When's the best time to pay off the remaining balance?

yakrider 03-15-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 78560)
When's the best time to pay off the remaining balance?

whenever you have the money! :luxhello:

jorluivil 03-18-2011 06:07 PM

I just paid my remaining balance.....:luxhello:

What are some of the non-fishing gear odds and ends that the 2.5 day veterans take on these trips?

roadx 03-18-2011 06:59 PM

smuggle on a couple of bottles :D

jorluivil 03-18-2011 07:04 PM

I'll smuggle in a couple but I don't drink.

robmandel 03-18-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 78844)
I just paid my remaining balance.....:luxhello:
What are some of the non-fishing gear odds and ends that the 2.5 day veterans take on these trips?

some guys bring lots of $1 bills. and no it's not for the strippers but triple nipple. the islander has everything BUT strippers, unless shane and john have "upgraded" the accomodations. maybe that should be an OEX thing :biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

seriously, if you do it right, meaning on your ass in the yak all day with a short break for lunch, you'll be too beat for anything else. maybe a book, or an ipod or something. if sleeping on a boat is a problem, and for some it is (noise), bring soft foam earplugs. maybe some advil or aspirin. I mean, you will probably be in your yak for over a dozen hours each day. I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'll be sore as hell.

I'd recommend of course battery chargers and backup batteries for VHF, etc. that's fishing perhaps, but kinda helpful.

towels, soap, toothbrush, all that personal hygiene crap that I don't care about :D:D dude, you're fishing!!

the other thing that I would recommend is snacks. yeah, they feed you great for sure, but I always pack a bunch of granola bars, crackers (those things kids put in their lunches. the orange crackers with the cheese or peanut butter, in wrapped packs of 6), maybe some fruit, and powerade. sometimes you need that carb/sugar boost and something to drink.

bring a few changes of socks and underwear. other thing, bring a variety of clothing, stuff you can layer. and yes, even a fairly warm jacket for night. jsut remember, you can leave anything on the boat, even go back for it if necessary. better to bring and not need than not have. that applies to gear as well. bring the extra jig stick or bass rod, or whatever. if you don't use it, big deal.

TROLLIN4daBIG_ONES 03-19-2011 01:02 AM

Are there any 1 or 1.5 days still available?