Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Team Sewer Gonzagapalooza (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=22445)

wiredantz 06-24-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck D (Post 198488)
Tried team S on the radio and got them,

Wow. Team Sewer ... I never heard about you guys being so nice...

Now, I don't believe everything they say about you guys! :cheers1:

Socalkayak 06-24-2014 05:11 PM

Gonzaga bay

Just got back from there a week ago. Didnt stay at gonzaga but rather Punta Buffeo. I have stayed at both. Next time maybe try buffeo. It is the point right before gonzaga bay. Its killing me I forgot the guys name but his wifes name is Rosario. Very nice people. I went Solo camped right on the beach for $5 a night its his propery and there is way less traffic/ people there. For $5 its camping and use of the bathroom and shower yes I said shower. I know it camping but after fishing all day in 90° + a shower is a must. They cooked up my fish that I gave them and we had fish tacos for dinner. I dont know if it was the fishing or they hosts that made the trip. Cant say enough about them. They really play host to you. Like this. As I was launching for the islands in the morning he came running asking how long I would be so he would know if he should come looking for me since I was solo. Makes you kinda feel at esse. The fishing: tons of triggers big ones too. Got a 6 pounder that would give any 20 pound yellow a run for there money. Triggers got tk be an annoyance there were so many. 6 yellowtail . The buety of staying at Buffeo you are way closer to the islands. 2.8 miles. But its in the sea of cortez and it was literally like a lake. Many cabria. And two good size pargo. Yellows were small schoolers 3-8 pounders The road was awsome. On the last day (my butt could take no more) I rented his 15 aluminium boat with a nice 20hp honda with 5 gallons of gas for $50. Check the reports punta buffeo means killer whale point.

ful-rac 06-24-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socalkayak (Post 198505)
Just got back from there a week ago. Didnt stay at gonzaga but rather Punta Buffeo. I have stayed at both. Next time maybe try buffeo. It is the point right before gonzaga bay. Its killing me I forgot the guys name but his wifes name is Rosario. Very nice people. I went Solo camped right on the beach for $5 a night its his propery and there is way less traffic/ people there. For $5 its camping and use of the bathroom and shower yes I said shower. I know it camping but after fishing all day in 90° + a shower is a must. They cooked up my fish that I gave them and we had fish tacos for dinner. I dont know if it was the fishing or they hosts that made the trip. Cant say enough about them. They really play host to you. Like this. As I was launching for the islands in the morning he came running asking how long I would be so he would know if he should come looking for me since I was solo. Makes you kinda feel at esse. The fishing: tons of triggers big ones too. Got a 6 pounder that would give any 20 pound yellow a run for there money. Triggers got tk be an annoyance there were so many. 6 yellowtail . The buety of staying at Buffeo you are way closer to the islands. 2.8 miles. But its in the sea of cortez and it was literally like a lake. Many cabria. And two good size pargo. Yellows were small schoolers 3-8 pounders The road was awsome. On the last day (my butt could take no more) I rented his 15 aluminium boat with a nice 20hp honda with 5 gallons of gas for $50. Check the reports punta buffeo means killer whale point.

Have you not heard about Baja or bust? Makobob? Las Encantadas?

FISH11 06-24-2014 06:47 PM

On that first picture I wasn't shure if you guys were cooling off or taking a wiz. After seeing the other pictures I can tell it's Fnnn HOT! Looks like fun if the beer don't run out.

Hunter (The 80's Man) 06-24-2014 06:54 PM

Sweet! I made least likely to visit Gayoso! Thanks, Chuck, for the vote of confidence.

Really awesome video (and perfect song)! Glad you were able to film the jumping rays... they didn't show up on any of my videos and I was beginning to think my kids didn't believe me.

Can't wait to fish with you again, thanks for the cool ride.

bwana 06-24-2014 07:10 PM

My respect for Team Sewer just went through the roof after reading Chuck D's report.

Way to look out for one another!

Socalkayak 06-24-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 198506)
Have you not heard about Baja or bust? Makobob? Las Encantadas?

No. Why?

ful-rac 06-24-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socalkayak (Post 198522)
No. Why?

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ight=Baja+bust

Hunter (The 80's Man) 06-25-2014 12:43 AM

Thanks for putting this trip together, Jorge. I had a blast!

Here's another perspective ...

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mcYLcTT4wWQ" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

ful-rac 06-25-2014 07:19 AM

Very cool hunter! It's like I was there....again!

steveooo 06-25-2014 07:43 AM

Looks like a fun trip, with a cool variety of fish. Thanks for taking the time to put the vids together. :cheers1:

Chuck D 06-25-2014 08:21 AM

Nice vid Rob, I especially like the commentary at the end :rolleyes: Cool song too, till next time bro. Make sure to get me that special recipe you were talking about.

walrus 06-25-2014 03:51 PM

Team Sewer, you guys rock! You always seem to have good lessons for us. ( what happen to Tony's rudder?), great adventures, and pictures or videos to inspire us.

Thanks

"The buety of staying at Buffeo you are way closer to the islands. 2.8 miles."

The closest island (San Luis) to Punta Bufero is over five miles. It looks closer but GPS coordinates don't lie. Willard Island is roughly 2.8 miles from Rancho Grande campground.

Kayaking to San Luis is a real risk, the wind comes up without warning and being that far off shore you may not be able to get back within miles of where you started. Always take plenty of water in your kayak, and remember while paddling/pedaling out that you still have to paddle back against the current.

ful-rac 06-25-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walrus (Post 198603)
Team Sewer, you guys rock! You always seem to have good lessons for us. ( what happen to Tony's rudder?), great adventures, and pictures or videos to inspire us.

Thanks

"The buety of staying at Buffeo you are way closer to the islands. 2.8 miles."

The closest island (San Luis) to Punta Bufero is over five miles. It looks closer but GPS coordinates don't lie. Willard Island is roughly 2.8 miles from Rancho Grande campground.

Kayaking to San Luis is a real risk, the wind comes up without warning and being that far off shore you may not be able to get back within miles of where you started. Always take plenty of water in your kayak, and remember while paddling/pedaling out that you still have to paddle back against the current.

We were fishing the WFO Spotty bite just having a blast!!!! Then all of a sudden with no warning I lose my steering...We were about a mile away from camp, so it wasn't going to be too bad of a paddle back. But I opted to try to fix the problem in the field if I could. I couldn't get on the sand from where I was so I got as close to shore as I could. I found a little rocky spot in about 2 feet of water, removed bait tank and rods, opened hatch, removed steering cover, found broken steering line. Located extremely frayed broken steering line, reattached steering line with good knot. Re-routed steering line thru hull, secured line, tied knot, DONE!

Ya know it seems that if my mirage drive doesn't break, something else does....But at least my mirage drive didn't fail me this time...and if it did I was ready. I put together a little tool kit for just this type of scenario, lucky I learned to have one ready from my last Baja experience.

jorluivil 06-26-2014 08:27 PM

Its not a trip unless someone tinkles on the way

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-c...h544-no/14+-+3

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-B...o/DSCN6272.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5...o/DSCN6273.JPG

driftwood 06-26-2014 08:35 PM

Big Tony is like...were is that dam thing? I know it was right here the last time I looked.

ful-rac 06-26-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftwood (Post 198678)
Big Tony is like...were is that dam thing? I know it was right here the last time I looked.

Its still missing....:eek:

kayakfisherman 06-27-2014 09:27 AM

Hunter,

Excellent video!!! I want to go with you guys badly.

PapaDave 06-27-2014 10:14 AM

When's the next trip planned?

jorluivil 06-27-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 198712)
When's the next trip planned?

Last night Tony and I were discussing another trip to Gonzaga but chances are its not going to be until after summer or sometime next year. The place is awesome, no cell phone service, no electricity and no medical help for miles:eek:. If and when we setup another trip I will post it for everyone, this last one I didn't publicize because.....well, just because. Setting up this last trip was like having a second job; transportation for 8, meals for 2.5 days, gear, more gear, and more gear after that. I'm definitely going back, even if its by myself.