Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   respect the ocean 2. MY experience (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21996)

ctfphoto 05-16-2014 03:03 PM

Why on earth did I read this post before I went out yesterday. I found myself sinking and I never touch my drain plug. Fun Day.

William Novotny 05-16-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfphoto (Post 194546)
Why on earth did I read this post before I went out yesterday. I found myself sinking and I never touch my drain plug. Fun Day.

What weighs more, a yak full of water or a yak full of fish?

ctfphoto 05-16-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Novotny (Post 194551)
What weighs more, a yak full of water or a yak full of fish?

Well I had about 30 pounds of water and about 30 pounds of (one) fish so I can't answer that question :D

William Novotny 05-16-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfphoto (Post 194554)
Well I had about 30 pounds of water and about 30 pounds of (one) fish so I can't answer that question :D

Throw ice in there and you've got the first kayak cold brine slurry tank

ctfphoto 05-17-2014 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeapers, a very small hole on the rear where I was sinking. I use a very large towel to soak up the water and then wring it out. Repeat over and over again. It actually works really well and the soaked towel works great to keep the catch wet and cool.

How do I repair this? I saw plastic welder at the hardware shop, is this the best way for a very small hole? I plan on keeping a couple layers of high grade black duct tale over the area and replace when needed.

How I got the hole, very simple .... I like to lobster hoop net and for that I usually use a grader launch ramp.

PAL 05-18-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 194120)
This brings a questions to mind: Anyone know how long hand pumps are good for? Last you thing you want is for your hand pump to break on you when you really need it. I remember reading a post a while back where he got filled with water, and he started pumping water so fast, it broke.

I'd carried a hand pump for a couple of years. When I finally needed it, I got three draws out of it before the handle and pump shaft pulled out of tube, rendering it useless. The manufacturer had affixed it with some type of light metal crimp, probably aluminum. Not cool.

PAL 05-18-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 194142)
The dangerous irony with these situations is that instinct tells most people to stay on their yak when the smart thing may be to jump in the water. If you have taken on a noticeable amount of water in less than flat conditions. And it has made your yak unstable or very low to the water line. You should probably not open a hatch to pump the water out without getting off. Getting off does several good things for you. It makes your yak more stable by lowering its center of gravity. It raises it in the water line (hopefully above the chop). It allows you to access parts of your yak that you may not be able to reach atop it. And it allows you to position your body to block the swell/chop from washing into the hatch you are pumping out of. Complacency is probably the most dangerous thing for us kayakers. I am guilty of it big time. But having a plan for what to do when the stuff hits the fan can help greatly.

It was windy, right? Few of us can swim quickly enough to catch up to a wind-blown 'yak. Just something to consider. A paddle leash or game clip can double as a safety tether in extreme situations (yes, entanglement hazard).

William Novotny 05-18-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAL (Post 194701)
It was windy, right? Few of us can swim quickly enough to catch up to a wind-blown 'yak. Just something to consider. A paddle leash or game clip can double as a safety tether in extreme situations (yes, entanglement hazard).

You make a very valid point. The way the wind current was ripping around the point, the kayak was drifting at a rate faster theni can paddle. I would not have liked trying to swim after it

bigbarrels 05-20-2014 01:04 AM

Wow, glad you made out alright . A private boater saved my ass once

GregAndrew 05-20-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAL (Post 194701)

Sliding or hoping (as the need may be) off to the down-wind side and holding on to a leashed paddle or game clip are good points. Also keeping a good grip on your yak as you maneuver around it is very important in windy conditions. Also remember to fix or slow leaks first (if you can), then work on the bailing of water.

bluesquids 05-21-2014 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 194898)
Also remember to fix or slow leaks first (if you can), then work on the bailing of water.

There's a Product called "Stay Afloat" made to temporary fill cracks and holes.
Also, toilet bowl seals will serve the same purpose for about $2.00
http://www.westmarine.com/polyester-...14oz--11142122

momo fish 05-21-2014 06:07 AM

Saw this at Home Depot and looks perfect for pumping water out while your outside the kayak.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/ma7u5udu.jpg

YakDout 05-21-2014 06:12 AM

4 strokes transfers a gallon? Sounds like my first girlfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Man in the Sea 05-21-2014 08:08 AM

bigger picture

Wiredantz - can you please post an increased the size of your crash pics....:D:D:D

svendawg 05-24-2014 07:48 AM

Test your hand pumps

I test my hand pump just about every time I wash my kayak. I usually give my kayak a good spraying inside the hull when cleaning, with the bow down. When I have finished washing the yak I use the hand pump to suck the water out (usually a gallon or two)
By doing this I know the pump is it good shape. Try it you'll be surprised how good it works.