Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Drive to LJ from LA/Ventura area (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24523)

wiredantz 02-09-2015 12:31 PM

I knew I should of brought my sail

octico 02-09-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 218098)
Some dude at the launch was like, "saw this guy get picked up by the lobster boat with a hobie outback, what's up with that", I just laughed was like, "I know". Then he said he had an x factor like mine before his outback and that they're a bitch to paddle. No wonder why it took me an hour longer than the outbacks!

Crazy day.

If anybody asks, I was just out there to work on the guns!!

Being sore today just means I got a great work out! ;)

You're right those swells/waves were ridiculously big. They looked like 10 foots swells :eek:, probably smaller, they just look bigger at water level.

I took a picture of you
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...70_634x350.jpg

Dude, my legs are burning today. The current was strong, I would stop pedaling and speed was 3.2knots (backwards) and 1.2knots moving forward.

octico 02-09-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 218091)
Lucky somebody was there to rescue you guys...:eek:

We saw the conditions starting to turn, and we got the hell out of dodge quick. We got back to the beach just in time to see the lifeguard drop off the first victim.

You were there? What time did you leave?

Silbaugh4liberty 02-09-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 218101)
You're right those swells/waves were ridiculously big. They looked like 10 foots swells :eek:, probably smaller, they just look bigger at water level.

Dude, my legs are burning today. The current was strong, I would stop pedaling and speed was 3.2knots (backwards) and 1.2knots moving forward.

Where I was at they were like 20ft, once you got straight out from the launch, they were smaller for sure.

momo fish 02-09-2015 01:16 PM

I would peg them closer to middle at 15 from watching the beach and the boats near us completely disappear. The area around the corner by seal beach had the biggest due to bouncing off the walls...

Not fun watching white water break almost the length of your kayak...

ful-rac 02-09-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 218102)
You were there? What time did you leave?

I think we were back on the beach about 11 or so.

Silbaugh4liberty 02-09-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 218121)

Kicked off the water early in La Jolla due to weather and/or conditions two trips in a row! Join the club:(

TJones 02-09-2015 03:33 PM

Let's keep this one on the hush hush

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 218084)
Note worthy? At least you guys weren't the couple of kayakers that needed to be saved by the CG (or where you?). I was out last Tuesday and when the wind picked up it kept blowing me south west. After numerous times of paddling back out and north and drifting again, the wind and current kept getting stronger and was very tiring to paddle against. When finally calling it a day I started heading back the GPS showed the on normal paddling I was almost not moving. When paddling with a lot more effort I was moving 1.4 to 1.7 MPH, normally that would be about 4 to 5 MPH. It took 2 1/2 times longer than normal to paddle in and the wind was maybe only about 16 to 17 MPH. The wind reports for today where crazy and tomorrow after maybe 10 am is almost as bad. I live in the mountains and surprisingly there is almost no wind up here. I'm thinking of maybe hitting Lake Cuyamaca tomorrow instead of LJ.

Whoops , too late .

momo fish 02-09-2015 03:36 PM

Weird I was at launch before dark and didn't see you... Going to start calling you ninja tony!

This was Sunday?

Quote:

roby 02-09-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

We were back on the beach a little after 11:30. I was the last one to get a yellow, which was right at 10:10. Everyone in our group got one; George didn't catch anything because he was back at home stealing something.

The weather did get snotty after 10:30, but it didn't seem that bad to me. We saw the CG drop off a Hobie Angler, but it was just one.

19lb YT on bait. At the bottom.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...pszzvczuty.jpg

Silbaugh4liberty 02-09-2015 07:19 PM

Damn, lucky bastard

roby 02-09-2015 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 218146)
Damn, lucky bastard

I fish with Tony and Greg...

Silbaugh4liberty 02-09-2015 07:24 PM

We just got out there too damn late. I think everyone was ahead of us

momo fish 02-09-2015 07:30 PM

Ah ok.. Then they must of been busy cause our guy was on an outback that was picked up by a lobster boat before coast guard was called after we got separated...

Good job getting a fish Roby!! Early morning saw some good marks on the way to fishing ground and near kelp but was focused on getting to the zone. Should of just dropped and fish in hindsight..

octico 02-09-2015 08:18 PM

Quote:

Nice to be back early, what time did you launch?

ful-rac 02-09-2015 08:29 PM

Sometime around 6 or before six...it was definitely in the dark.

wiredantz 02-09-2015 09:03 PM

Alright team Roby you going down. See u at the tournament

cell128 02-10-2015 05:43 AM

I was one of the victims. I got carried away drifted out way too far south. Coming back making slow progress got real ugly. Good thing I just got a new vhf. Was going to use it last resort if I flipped but that lobster boat rolled up on me and offered a free ride....sweet. Went around looking for a few other guys but couldn't find them. One of them also got dragged in by a jet ski. Lesson learned. Respect weather reports and try to stay close to your group...

Silbaugh4liberty 02-10-2015 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cell128 (Post 218162)
I was one of the victims. I got carried away drifted out way too far south. Coming back making slow progress got real ugly. Good thing I just got a new vhf. Was going to use it last resort if I flipped but that lobster boat rolled up on me and offered a free ride....sweet. Went around looking for a few other guys but couldn't find them. One of them also got dragged in by a jet ski. Lesson learned. Respect weather reports and try to stay close to your group...

Dude, I saw you guys. I was thinking, wtf is that guy doing, can't collect traps now. The swells were so nuts, that most of the buoys to the lobster pots were submerged.

jorluivil 02-10-2015 08:18 PM

OK boys.......who is going to be the first to post this weeks 'I ALMOST DIED!!!' story? Come-on, someone has to have a story to tell!!