Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Unassisted YFT From the Kayak!!! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=22659)

Fiskadoro 07-16-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 200426)
expect sharks, every offshore trip I have done has attracted a mako, blue or hammerhead the hammerhead approaching was the scariest as they have a very big dorsal fin.....thought it was a 20 foot GWS...............they get curious! Just be prepared.

If sharks bite bite them back...
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3896/...e1f5a94f_c.jpg

ful-rac 07-16-2014 06:40 PM

Here's the Original

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps70a76d91.jpg

wade 07-16-2014 07:15 PM

Now when someone asks you, "Is that a Tuna?":confused:
You can reply, "Yes it's a Tuna"...

& the flip side to that coin...

Ten bucks says when me & my crew come back stacked with Tuna, the first launch lurker will inevitably come over to us and ask, "Are those Yellowtail?"....:doh:

lowprofile 07-16-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 200443)
Although I do believe the PA could make it, 25 miles is a lot different than 12 miles in open water. But I invite you to join along! Bring a spare mirage drive though... I don't foresee my full carbon ikelos blade having any malfunctions:)

Andy... Last time I went offshore in the yak only thing I hooked was a big mako. I about shat myself when it didn't even run, but instead started jumping repeatedly straight towards my boat.

Sounds like there's a lot of interest in doing this some other time. Hoping somebody decides to come Saturday though, as we all know how small those windows of opportunity can be.:doh:

I've personally done 22miles in the PA. Not a problem and averaged 2.5-3knph. Very doable and im super jealous I'm not there right now. Might be better off launching from SD bay or Coronado beach.

467echo 07-17-2014 08:30 PM

This post really has me thinking lately. Can't do it until the weekend of Aug 9th though. Depends on where the fish are at that time. I have a small list of things I would bring just for that trip that would include... extra bait and FF batteries, VHF radio, extra Mirage drive(maybe 1 between me and a friend), 2 subway footlong sandwiches, glowsticks, and... Any other ideas that I might be forgetting?

Zed 07-17-2014 08:44 PM

water, game bag.

467echo 07-17-2014 08:53 PM

water is a given, I always use soaked burlap sacks on my fish, think that will work?

lowprofile 07-17-2014 11:48 PM

I have a 65"x20" game bag. On the trip I did 22+\- miles I had two 15-20lb king macs, several 3-7lb Spanish macs a cobia and small sharks frozen water bottles kept them cool for then 12-13hour trip.

the dude 07-18-2014 07:40 AM

Has this been done before from Cali? I realize some of you have caught YFT from a kayak, but it's always been a mothership thing right? You could be in a very elite group if you pull this off Chris.

chris138 07-18-2014 09:33 AM

Unless Iceman Andy is out today trying to steal my thunder. ;)

chris138 07-18-2014 09:41 AM

My safety list is as follows:

Submersible VHF
GPS
PFD
Air Horn
Storm Whistle
Waterproof LED blinky lights to put on my jigstick
Glow sticks
Big ass knife

Not gonna worry about how to keep fish cold. Focusing on not getting run over by one of the smokers

Pagzzz 07-18-2014 10:18 AM

I cannot wait to read how this turns out!!!!

It got me thinking. I don't have a kayak, but I do paddle a 1-man outrigger canoe (OC-1) that I can average about 5-6 MPH on and have paddled 20 miles before. I know they do this kind of fishing in Hawaii. I can clamp a rod holder to the outriggers and troll even.

hmmmm ....

cabojohn 07-18-2014 10:34 AM

It's a commitment going outside. Adrenalin will get you there...but remember, you have to paddle back tired too.
Expect possible wind, current & swells...
Stay alert & watch for boats as they will not be looking for 'kayaks'.
I'd consider flying a flag. GPS /compass & vhs.
FOR SURE bring extra food & water /drinks. Energy gels /Roctaine etc. You will want to pack light too.
Be safe & good luck. :)

RedSledTeam 07-18-2014 11:17 AM

Be visible

Be VERY VISIBLE guys! It's a zoo out there! I heard 10 boats on every paddy!! :captain:
-RST

Hunters Pa 07-18-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabojohn (Post 200682)
It's a commitment going outside. Adrenalin will get you there...but remember, you have to paddle back tired too.
Expect possible wind, current & swells...
Stay alert & watch for boats as they will not be looking for 'kayaks'.
I'd consider flying a flag. GPS /compass & vhs.
FOR SURE bring extra food & water /drinks. Energy gels /Roctaine etc. You will want to pack light too.
Be safe & good luck. :)

And make sure you tell people exactly when and where you are going, AND when you should be expected back

chris138 07-18-2014 01:07 PM

It looks like 2,100 people have seen my trip itinerary, so I'm holding you all personally responsible for my rescue.;)

I'm gonna be out there and some PBer will come up to me and be like "hey youre chris138 huh. you should be careful its real sketch out here" as he's slamming rum drinks and bumping some butt rock. :cheers1:

That's after I see Josh on his way in with 80lb bft saying something along the lines of "it was wide open blues on squid, on the balloon, 75 yards back and 50 ft down pinned on a purple swimbait. should have been here an hour ago"

:leaving:

chris138 07-18-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagzzz (Post 200680)
I cannot wait to read how this turns out!!!!

It got me thinking. I don't have a kayak, but I do paddle a 1-man outrigger canoe (OC-1) that I can average about 5-6 MPH on and have paddled 20 miles before. I know they do this kind of fishing in Hawaii. I can clamp a rod holder to the outriggers and troll even.

hmmmm ....

Pagz, my GF has an OC-1 as well. I think she will be joining me offshore here in the next few weeks. Might be some other paddlers from the Hanohano club trying as well. You should try rigging your OC-1 for fishing and share what you learn. What would be super rad is to take a 4 man surf canoe out to the bank!

467echo 07-18-2014 04:06 PM

Good Luck tomorrow Chris, go get um! Can't wait to read your report on Sunday morning. :cheers1:

Iceman 07-18-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Unless Iceman Andy is out today trying to steal my thunder. ;)
Duty calls Had to rig up a customers PA 12 this morning, could not get away today, looks like next week I will hopefully be looking outside somewhere. good luck manana!

tacmik 07-18-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 467echo (Post 200632)
This post really has me thinking lately. Can't do it until the weekend of Aug 9th though. Depends on where the fish are at that time. I have a small list of things I would bring just for that trip that would include... extra bait and FF batteries, VHF radio, extra Mirage drive(maybe 1 between me and a friend), 2 subway footlong sandwiches, glowsticks, and... Any other ideas that I might be forgetting?

Beer. Must stay hydrated. Couple gallons water.