Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   We lost one of the old school guys (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29182)

Johnp 05-26-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baerclaws (Post 261937)
My fishing pals and I, who have been referred to as “Old Salts”, have known Rod and Val for nearly 15 years. In all those years we’ve never known a nicer person, on and off the water, his passing is a huge loss.
Our deepest sympathies to Val and Rod’s family and friends.
Ed<O:p

Well said Ed, I am one of the "Old Salts" you speak of. You first introduced me to Rod and Val at the launch years ago and we had many conversations with them through the years. So very saddened by this. My heart and my deepest condolences go out to you Val.

lamb 05-27-2016 10:37 AM

That is really sad. :(
Condolences to Val and family

momo fish 05-27-2016 11:02 AM

Sorry to hear...

Just heard the driver turned himself in today..

Jim Sammons LJKF 05-27-2016 11:04 AM

For those interested, there will be services up in Santa Clarita on the 9th. We will also be doing a paddle out to spread his ashes down in La Jolla at a date to be determined. I will follow up with details as I get them.

Jim Sammons LJKF 05-27-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 262044)
Sorry to hear...

Just heard the driver turned himself in today..

I had not heard that, thanks for sharing.

Jim Sammons LJKF 05-27-2016 11:20 AM

Here is the info on the guy they arrested. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...381121651.html

2-Stix 05-27-2016 12:35 PM

My prayers go out.

ful-rac 05-27-2016 01:07 PM

Thank GOD they caught this guy! :luxhello: Good work San Diego Police! Now throw the book at HIM! :mad:

Jim Sammons LJKF 05-27-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 262066)
Thank GOD they caught this guy! :luxhello: Good work San Diego Police! Now throw the book at HIM! :mad:

SDPD had nothing to do with this, this happened up in Santa Clarita.

ful-rac 05-27-2016 02:39 PM

Oooooh I thought it was down in SD...no matter good work to all law enforcement for getting this guy!

swinginFish 05-27-2016 05:48 PM

Deep sadness

One didn't need to be part of the "old guard" to know Rod, although many of us have had the true pleasure for years (15 in my case). I won't run through the history or tell tales of great times and shared interests (which are many). What I'm hoping is that we, as a kayak fishing community can find a way to provide some small degree of solace to Val - Rod's wife and true life partner.

Val, if by chance you read this, there are so many that share your loss. If desired, know that there's a flotilla of fellow kayak fishermen that are at your beck and call. Just say the word (PM).

Deep sympathy for Val, Rod's family and all of his students who, like us all, are in total shock.

Avery

swinginFish 05-28-2016 04:21 PM

Count me in

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF (Post 262046)
For those interested, there will be services up in Santa Clarita on the 9th. We will also be doing a paddle out to spread his ashes down in La Jolla at a date to be determined. I will follow up with details as I get them.

Jim,

Please let me know via PM or email the date/time of the paddle out and the spreading of his ashes at LJ. Deeply saddened by this loss and appreciate opportunity to join you and others in a fitting farewell.

Avery

robmandel 05-29-2016 02:10 PM

I taught at the same school with Rod for several years. It is he who got me interested and started in kayak fishing. He was as nice and kind and generous a person as one would ever hope to meet. My wife (who also taught with Rod for several years) are deeply saddened by this tragedy.

kayakfisherman 05-29-2016 02:59 PM

One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet on the water!!!

What a shock! Our hearts go out to Rod and Val's family.

Jim Sammons LJKF 05-30-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinginFish (Post 262114)
Jim,

Please let me know via PM or email the date/time of the paddle out and the spreading of his ashes at LJ. Deeply saddened by this loss and appreciate opportunity to join you and others in a fitting farewell.

Avery

I should have something for you tomorrow.