Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Okay noob question here...yellowtail... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28225)

jorluivil 02-13-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acorad (Post 253344)
Thanks Mr NG, fantastic stuff! Will order maps for my 'hood, Santa Monica Bay and Channel Islands!

Andy

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoyScout (Post 253511)
Good news guys! I got a fish finder lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm assuming you returned the maps?

Mr. NiceGuy 02-15-2016 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoyScout (Post 253511)
Good news guys! I got a fish finder lol

What did you get?

Good luck with the learning curve. Personally, I find the adjustment and interpretation of FF data to be more of an art than simply looking at a display on our monitor. We have to learn to calibrate how we assess FF data with all the other information we can absorb. Assessing fishing conditions is complex. There are many variables to consider. Conditions are always changing. IMHO, learning to use a FF takes lots of hours of experience over time and under varied conditions.

I would like to hear about short cuts to become an adept and advanced user of fish finders, but I don't know of any myself.

TheBoyScout 02-15-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy (Post 253619)
What did you get?

Good luck with the learning curve. Personally, I find the adjustment and interpretation of FF data to be more of an art than simply looking at a display on our monitor. We have to learn to calibrate how we assess FF data with all the other information we can absorb. Assessing fishing conditions is complex. There are many variables to consider. Conditions are always changing. IMHO, learning to use a FF takes lots of hours of experience over time and under varied conditions.

I would like to hear about short cuts to become an adept and advanced user of fish finders, but I don't know of any myself.

I went out today and unfortunately had some technical difficulties. I didn't sodder the wires correctly that attach to the batter so my FF would not power up. I have a lowrance elite 5 HDI now. I still had a lot of fun out there even though it was slow. Good thing I'm only 22! I have a few years to master this tough hobby 😊

TJones 02-15-2016 05:11 PM

I'm very disappointed Tony

Last year you would not have hesitated to recommend Tjones Guide Service . :the_finger:

ful-rac 02-15-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 253651)
Last year you would not have hesitated to recommend Tjones Guide Service . :the_finger:

I thought you guys got bought out by momo's guide service...

Are you guys back in business?

jorluivil 02-15-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoyScout (Post 253648)
I went out today and unfortunately had some technical difficulties. I didn't sodder the wires correctly that attach to the batter so my FF would not power up. I have a lowrance elite 5 HDI now. I still had a lot of fun out there even though it was slow. Good thing I'm only 22! I have a few years to master this tough hobby ��

I solder, heat shrink and goop most of my connections. If you do not know how to solder at least crimp your connections and seal them with goop, it will not prevent 100% of the corrosion but it will slow the process down by 99%. I don't know how you connected everything but I can assure you that simply twisting the wires together and covering them with a sh*t load of electrical tape isn't going to work.

TheBoyScout 02-15-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 253658)
I solder, heat shrink and goop most of my connections. If you do not know how to solder at least crimp your connections and seal them with goop, it will not prevent 100% of the corrosion but it will slow the process down by 99%. I don't know how you connected everything but I can assure you that simply twisting the wires together and covering them with a sh*t load of electrical tape isn't going to work.

Awesome I didn't even think about goop. I'm also gonna use di electric grease

alanw 02-15-2016 07:57 PM

I use the marine butt connectors when splicing. 100% waterproof.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor-...09_275_004_003
Dielectric on exposed connectors.

TJones 02-16-2016 04:17 AM

unbelievable

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 253653)
I thought you guys got bought out by momo's guide service...

Are you guys back in business?

My exclient is putting me in the red . :mad:

TheBoyScout 02-16-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 253678)
My exclient is putting me in the red . :mad:

How much do you charge?